Vitamins and herbal supplements | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Vitamins and herbal supplements
RSS
Noemidlp
August 14, 2013 - 7:38 am

I asked my husband if he knew of any vitamins sold in bulk. He said, “Yeah, they’re called vegetables.”

But seriously, what vitamin and herbal supplements are sold in bulk, and where can I get them. I am sick of the mountain of plastic bottles my vitamin consumption has created.

Any ideas?

Plastic-Free Ericka Moderator
August 16, 2013 - 4:43 pm

Sadly I think so far your husbands suggestion is pretty accurate. I haven’t found any vitamins in bulk either. There is a company who is hoping to have their completely compostable packaging used for items like prescription bottles and even toothpaste. So hopefully vitamins will be included. They’re called Eco Vision and I already use their compostable packaged chap stick which I love.

Frances
August 19, 2013 - 5:14 am

A question in relation to the vitamin/herbal supplement in bulk. I doubt if they will because like drugs some supplements lose their potency over time. I wonder if pharmacies and health food stores would ever consider ‘re-fill’ programs using your old containers. If you refill a script every month at the end of the year you have 12 plastic bottles, if you could return your own bottle to be refilled with your medication you would reduce 11 bottles in the land fill and the only extra would be replacing the old labels. I didn’t think pharmacies or community health centers would ever consider take back programs to destory unused medications, 20 years ago when ‘irritating’ people like me were complaining about people flushing medications because they didn’t need those scrips anymore and those medications, sometimes with scary harmful side effects contaminating our water sources, now they do. I didn’t think they would change how they dispose of hypo-needles more than 30 years ago until medical waste started washing up on beach shores and children were getting hurt or sick from getting stuck by them. Keep asking each time you buy and eventually someone will take your ‘brilliant’ idea thier own and change store policy.

melody
August 20, 2013 - 9:35 pm

Our local store, Staff of Life, has a small number of bulk supplements. If you’re not in Santa Cruz, that won’t help though.

sj
March 29, 2018 - 1:54 pm

How about vitamins in glass bottles? Not the same as buying in gross, I think Solgar Vitamins often sell vitamins in glass bottles/jars with metal tops. I am currently trying to find others companies.

421 Posts
(Offline)
April 2, 2018 - 11:14 am

There are other vitamins in glass, but they have plastic caps. Off the top of my head, some of these include Whole Foods food-cultured supplements, New Chapter, Megafood, Garden of Life, Vitamin Code, Country Life. Solgar does have the metal caps; however, the entire bottle is wrapped in plastic. I haven’t found a supplement brand that is completely plastic-free.

Beth Wright
March 4, 2019 - 10:56 am
Awaiting Moderation

Elyse
March 18, 2019 - 9:21 am

I love the refill idea, we need to start forcing this as an option. Really how many more bottles do we need???? Let’s start sending the ones we have back to the producers!!!  There are examples of this popping up in other categories, check out PlaineProducts for hair care.

JBrown
April 16, 2019 - 1:56 pm

APSU has a multivitamin in non-plastic packaging. They also provide bulk bags to reduce on the amount of orders and shipping.

Laura
June 9, 2019 - 10:37 am

I recently found this supplement company that has glass bottles and metal lids.  They don’t have any multi-vitamins, but they do have a nice selection of supplements without any additives: https://puremountainbotanicals.com/collections/all

All RSS Show Stats