Wall Gardens | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Wall Gardens
zoesunshine
March 14, 2013 - 3:23 pm

Hi! I’m planning on making a wall garden. Here is one website that makes them. They use felt that is made out of recycled plastic bottles stapled to a hard plastic back. While they say it is fine, I’m not fully comfortable with the idea that the plants (especially ones that I’m going to eat) are growing in plastic. What are some alternative construction materials? I’ve considered regular felt and burlap somehow attached to a metal backing. Has anyone tried wall gardening before? Thanks!

electrofriend
March 15, 2013 - 6:25 am

What about using old shipping pallets? You would just have to be careful because some of them are treated.

Rik
March 15, 2013 - 7:53 am

Have you ever considered doing a pallet garden out of recyled pallets?

zoesunshine
March 20, 2013 - 1:20 pm

Yes, using pallets is a great idea! Though, I want to make something that can be easily hung on an indoor wall. I scrapped the burlap idea because I read it might fall apart easily over time and I haven’t yet tried regular felt, because the store closest to me doesn’t carry wool felt, it was all plastic. So I’m thinking of using coconut hair pot lining stuff.

electrofriend
March 21, 2013 - 8:05 am

What about buying thrift store wool sweaters and felting them yourself? You just wash them on hot and run them in a hot dryer.

silver
March 8, 2015 - 9:13 pm

Sorry for adding something much later, but I found some sites that anyone may look into or get ideas from. By the way I love Gardening. Your idea is beautiful.

All RSSShow Stats