What are your Favorite Plastic-free Toy Companies? | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
What are your Favorite Plastic-free Toy Companies?
402 Posts
(Offline)
August 16, 2011 - 7:08 pm

Which toys contain the least plastic and other toxic chemicals? Which toy companies use the least plastic packaging?

rivqa
August 16, 2011 - 7:57 pm

I don't have any favourite companies, but after requesting wooden toys for gifts I've been disappointed at the amount that have a seriously toxic smell about them, and that come wrapped in plastic. They aren't all created equal, that's for sure.

Annie
August 23, 2011 - 9:23 pm

It's much easier to buy non-plastic toys for very young children, I've found. Nova Naturals is great for the wooden and fabric, simple toys. Lots of Waldorf stuff. It looks like there may be some plastic wheels on some of the toy vehicles, but a great majority are all natural materials.  From the few times I ordered from them, I do remember getting a plastic bag around some of the things, but I think they would be receptive to omitting the plastic. Bigger kids are tougher.  It seems like the best way to go is resale. Books, musical instruments, German board games (wood and cardboard, although the pieces sometimes still come in a little plastic bag), colored pencils.  When you get to “toys,” it seems like everything is plastic. So far my son hasn't succumbed to the peer pressure of asking for specific toys, but kindergarten starts in a couple of weeks so we'll see how that goes.

Jackie
August 24, 2011 - 8:24 am

Hmm.  I do not yet have a favorite non-plastic toy company…I'm getting in on this thread to hopefully find some.  Working as a nanny, I have been astounded at how much time the kids' toys spend in their mouths.  When it comes to their wooden toys, many of them have chipped paint, and I wonder if the paint on them is safe for little mouths to chew.  Compared to toxic paint and splinters, chewing on plastic almost doesn't seem so bad!

Kail
August 24, 2011 - 10:42 am

I have had a lot of success finding wooden toys for my nieces and nephews here:  http://www.moolka.com/pub/main/index.jsp

I haven't ordered anything in awhile, so I can't remember if they come in plastic packaging or not, but I do know that the Haba brand wooden toys I have ordered in the past have been fantastic–they are really great quality and seem like something that will last and can be passed down between generations.

402 Posts
(Offline)
August 24, 2011 - 11:12 am

I discovered these toy companies that make teethers and other toys for little ones out of unfinished wood.  I asked my mom friends who said that they are hard wood and don’t get splinters.

Theresa
August 24, 2011 - 2:20 pm

Etsy.com has some plastic-free toy options. It's always a great place to find wonderful things while supporting creative people rather than mass-produced products.

Annie
August 24, 2011 - 8:51 pm

In the SF Bay Area, the Arc toy store always seems to have very nice hardwood toys for young kids (although they have a lot of “traditional” stuff too). A lot more of those products have become available in the last half a dozen years (since I've been paying attention).

Meowy12
August 25, 2011 - 3:43 pm

Not everything they have is plastic-free, but we have many wonderful wooden toys from them, and they are very high quality!

MamaHare
August 26, 2011 - 6:57 am

We ordered these great “fort-building clips,” made of wood and rubber bands from The Wooden Wagon.  If I recall correctly, they came “naked” (no wrapping) and nestled in crumpled paper.  I don't remember what kind of tape was on the box.  I think they have a nice selection of toys, many I would love to have for my  kids.

JustOneMama
August 27, 2011 - 10:53 am

I love the Dandelion Earth-Friendly Goods toys (and diaper bag) http://www.dandelionforbaby.com/

and I know they aren't totally plastic free but Sprig Toys uses recycled plastic and reclaimed sawdust to make their toys…my son LOVES playing with trucks http://www.sprigtoys.com/index.html

All RSSShow Stats