What are your top plastic saving items? | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
What are your top plastic saving items?
RSS
Tony
January 11, 2019 - 10:56 am

I’m interested in seeing what people use the most as plastic alternatives / think are the best plastic alternatives? To me reusable drinking bottles and reusable shopping carry bags as I use these on a daily and weekly basis. I’m sure there’s things I haven’t thought of where I could be using an alternative.

Stephanie
January 15, 2019 - 3:20 pm

I have started using shampoo and conditioner solid bars instead of plastic bottles. I have also switched from shower gel to hard soap. I completely agree with reusable drinking bottles and shopping bags, I use both and it’s great!

I have also recently tried using toothpaste and mouthwash tabs from lush and also moisturiser in solid form instead of it coming in a plastic bottle.

I have switched to a safety razor instead of buying disposable plastic ones and also reusable sanitary pads and makeup remover pads.

These could be some extra ideas :)

Natalia Voegele
March 21, 2019 - 8:47 pm

Hi,

The plastic saving items which I use the most are, my Luna Pads and Diva cup every month. I have been using Luna Pads since 2006. I cannot imagine how many pads I have saved from the land fill, especially since I was gifted with an incredibly heavy flow by my grandmother. My glass Pirex containers. Yes, the lids are plastic, but the bowls are not. And I have only had to replace one plastic lid over the past 9 years of having them. Said lid cost me a whole $2.99 on Ebay. To me, that’s tons better than having to purchase and eventually recycle tons of plastic containers. My cylicone ice cube trays. My Starbucks reusable coffee cup, reusable grocery bags, mouth wash tablets from Lush, my Stasher cylicone Zip Lock bags, my wooden hairbrush. My probiotics come in glass jars, as do my fish oil and topical vitamin C drops for my face. I also have a glass soap dish. I also use my metal Teavanna tea strainer and reusable tea flask from them, which are both made of metal. I use loose leaf tea, instead of tea bags. My Kurig reusable filters are used regularly. Yes, the filter is plastic, but I have kept thousands of single-use K-cups out of the land fill by using them. I located some sponges once on QFC which can be laundred and thrown in the dishwasher. I purchased a set of 12, of which I still have about 7. Each one can be used over 200 times.

Take Care,

Natalia

Davinder
June 10, 2019 - 3:58 pm

Hi – I’m wondering how to alert prescription drug providers – ie the manufacturers and the distributors, eg CVS, to recycle the plastic containers that they put prescription drugs in. It’s such a hard plastic – #5 which is hard to recycle, and could be easily washed and used again. So many millions of these containers are discarded every day. Am thinking  how to start a petition to get either them to get on board with a #returncontainer petition campaign ( ie return to CVS or whomever, and they would wash and then re-use) or send back to manufacturer of drug…? Any ideas?

Nancy
July 27, 2019 - 2:19 pm

I have recently started using Abeego beeswax wraps to cover bowls and to wrap cheeses, half melons, lemons, etc. I really like them. I know that one can make beeswax wraps DIY if one has cotton fabric scraps, but I like the quality of the Abeego wraps. However, I have an uneasy mind. I have a big roll of plastic film and a drawer of plastic ziploc bags. What should I do with them? Use them up and don’t buy more? Stop using and recycle them now?

neil