Dear Wegman's, You Suck. | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Dear Wegman's, You Suck.
julsie
September 28, 2011 - 2:31 pm

Dear Wegman's,

I was really looking forward to my shopping trip today.  I've been bringing my own shopping bags and produce bags since you first opened, and the cashiers have always been helpful and complimentary.  Not one of them has tried to put my groceries in a plastic bag before putting them in a reusable bag, which is more than I can say for some of your competitors.  So when I brought my own containers for bulk foods today, it never occurred to me that you would be such idiots.

Really, if I wanted to use a plastic bag to weigh my food, and then transfer it to a glass jar, don't you think I would leave the jars at home and save myself the work of schlepping them around?  Do you think I do this for the exercise?  As if hauling around two children under the age of two isn't enough?

You know, I really wanted some olives today.  And you had them.  In bulk.  And I was prepared to pay your exorbitant price because none of the (at least FIVE) grocery stores between you and my house carry plastic-free olives.  Turns out you don't either, losers.  Do you not have a single scale with a tare button?

Shape up, Wegman's.  I'm hungry, and you have food, and I want to buy some.  In a non-plastic container.

Sincerely,

a former customer, who is no longer going to drive past all those other stores to come to Wegman's.

julsie
October 3, 2011 - 7:46 am

Here's the reply I got from Wegman's, after I emailed them a more polite version of the above:

Thank you for your email.  I will share your comments with our cheese shop team and sustainability specialist for future consideration.

I'm not sure why they mentioned cheese, because I didn't.  The olive bar is located by the cheese department, so maybe they're in charge of it?  Whatever.  I'm not feeling any warm fuzzies.

397 Posts
(Offline)
October 3, 2011 - 11:01 am

You know what?  It's ALWAYS good to speak up, no matter what reply you get back.  You never know how many other people have said something.  All of our voices make a difference.  Cheers!

Sissy
October 8, 2011 - 9:50 pm

I had a similar experience today at HEB. I took 2 glass jars in; stopped at the 10 items or less checkout, waited patiently my turn then told the clerk that I wanted to go to the bulk foods and put the yummies directly into the glass jars bypassing the plastic baggies. She cheerfully weighed them for me and put little stickers on them showing their weight so it could be deducted when I brought them back through check-out. But when I went over to bulk foods to try and fill them up the clerk over there went ballistic when I tried to fill them up. She insisted I had to use plastic. I left. I guess I need to write a letter to the manager.

julsie
October 13, 2011 - 2:47 pm

Last time I went to Whole Foods, the guy at the deli counter wouldn't fill my container.  I thought that was really strange, since they've done it before and I've heard such good reports from other customers.  I left without my deli meat and LITERALLY drove across the street to their competitor, where the deli guy was so nice I wished I had more containers for him to fill.

397 Posts
(Offline)
October 13, 2011 - 4:08 pm

Hey Julsie, did you happen to talk to a WF manager about it? I wonder if that guy was new and didn't know how to do it.

julsie
October 15, 2011 - 9:54 am

I didn't, because it was crazy busy.  Every employee had their hands full that day.  But I went back yesterday and the fish counter and the meat counter were happy to fill my containers, plus the cashier got really excited about all my reusables.  I didn't need anything from the deli, but I'm sure that one guy was just clueless.  His refusal doesn't fit the culture of the store.

397 Posts
(Offline)
October 15, 2011 - 10:57 am

At Berkeley Whole Foods, all the employees are happy to do it, so I was surprised when I got some resistance from the people at the sushi counter.  It turned out that the sushi counter was run by a third party vendor, but after I explained how to do it, they went along with me and filled my container.

julsie
October 17, 2011 - 8:26 am

Ooh, sushi!  I'll have to chat with the sushi people next time I'm there.  Plastic-free sushi would be awesome.

397 Posts
(Offline)
October 17, 2011 - 1:27 pm

Just remember to tell them not to give you wasabi, ginger, soy sauce, etc. in little plastic packets. :-)  And no plastic grass!

diane
January 7, 2014 - 7:46 pm

I know this is over 3 years old by now, but they referred your complaint to the cheese department because the olive bar is maintained by the the cheese department. I work at wegmans =]

All RSSShow Stats