NOT "Bulk" litter!!! Shame on Petco! | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
NOT "Bulk" litter!!! Shame on Petco!
RSS
Eve Stavros
July 2, 2013 - 6:30 am

Yesterday’s trip to Petco to buy cat litter sure opened my eyes!!! They fill the bulk bin from small plastic bags.  Guess I should have asked how they did this last year when I started buying litter there, instead of just assuming I was getting plastic-free (or nearly) litter…

Today’s email I sent to the company concerning their refill practice.

“I’ve been buying your bulk litter for more than a year, using the large plastic pail to refill, for a couple of reasons.  #1 – it’s unscented, which I prefer for my cat. And #2, I considered refilling a bucket much more environmentally friendly than buying litter in bags or pails which then must be “downcycled” into more plastic we don’t need. However yesterday at my local Petco store I saw how the “bulk” bin is filled – by emptying litter from small plastic bags into the bin.  This goes against my commitment to consume less plastic, and I am so disappointed.  I know you have other customers who have made the same assumption I have, and who would also be disappointed to learn of this practice.  I encourage you to consider another means to package and ship your “bulk” litter to your stores.  Until then, I am sorry to say, you have lost me as a loyal customer.  At least if I buy my litter in a bag myself, I can reuse that bag for trash.  Sincerely, a former Petco Pal”

Plastic-Free Ericka Moderator
July 3, 2013 - 2:31 am

Great letter Eve! I’m curious how they respond. This is such an extreme example of “Green Washing” and makes me suspicious of other green washing tactics this company is using. I used to be a Petco Pal as well and found it obnoxious that they insisted on providing me with their plastic Petco Pal rewards card instead of just using my phone number.

Eve Stavros
July 3, 2013 - 5:16 am

Well, I received a reply today…we’ll see how far it goes:

Dear Eve,

We received your concern regarding cat litter refill.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this have caused. On the other hand, thank you for taking the time to reach out to Petco about your thoughts. I understand you’re an environmental enthusiast judging from the feedback you provided.

I have forwarded your concen to our upper management. We are always investigating new features for our stores and rest assured your comments are sincerely appreciated so that we can continue to improve. We want to build a relationship with you and not just a transaction.

If there’s anything else you need, don’t hesitate to reply to this email or call us toll free at 1-877-738-6742.

Sincerely, Jenelyn C. Customer Relations Coordinator

Plastic-Free Ericka Moderator
July 4, 2013 - 11:04 am

Wow, they responded pretty quickly but their response seems somewhat of a canned one. I’m also curious to see where this goes and if anyone is actually going to talk about making changes. Thank you again for reaching out to Petco and I will inform others of their bogus bulk cat liter.

william
June 27, 2018 - 1:03 pm

really people? get over yourself. you might want to stop buying food too. check the packaging.

Kim
August 6, 2018 - 11:13 pm

For the record, I appreciate this bit of knowledge as I’m considering swapping away from Fresh Step in the box and had hoped to find a non-plastic package substitute.

william said

You sought out this thread which is FIVE years old, only to put down folk looking to save the environment from more plastic waste than there needs to be?

I do believe you’re the one in need of the mirror, not Eve or Erika.

MK
August 8, 2018 - 2:18 pm

I guess my reply is how else are they supposed to get the litter into the bin? It has to be shipped somehow. Having customers use refillable containers and purchasing from the bin is still better than selling multiple bags/containers to so many customers. Perhaps they could use refillable canisters themselves to ship and refill their bulk bin?

Ana
October 10, 2018 - 3:03 am

What’s the update on this?

Jen
November 16, 2018 - 1:12 am

I was thinking of doing this myself, buying bulk litter from Petco. And it’s good that you’ve educated them on making conscious choices, I feel that maybe – if you were able to fill your own non plastic tub then technically it still would be semi- plastic free? Although the demand is still there for you, would it still be a better alternative than buying it individually packaged? Just an early morning thought honestly.

In my personal opinion, it still could be better than getting individual packages.

Jill
November 24, 2018 - 9:20 am

^Refilling a “non-plastic container” from the bulk bin wouldn’t be better, b/c as you take from the bin, they fill it with more bagged litter, creating more trash. (That’s assuming you already have your plastic bucket you’re refilling, and not going out to buy a new one for this purpose).

Anyway, I’m also interested in an update on this, or if anyone knows of another store that does better. Thanks

Melina