Bisphenol-A (BPA) in the NY Times this weekend (11-07-2009) | Plastic-Free Discussion Board

sp_TopicIcon
Bisphenol-A (BPA) in the NY Times this weekend (11-07-2009)
402 Posts
(Offline)
November 9, 2009 - 6:07 pm

Nicholas D. Kristof contributed this OpEd to the NY Times this weekend:

“While the evidence isn’t conclusive, it justifies precautions. In my family, we’re cutting down on the use of those plastic containers that contain BPA to store or microwave food, and I’m drinking water out of a metal bottle now. In my reporting around the world, I’ve come to terms with the threats from warlords, bandits and tarantulas. But endocrine disrupting chemicals — they give me the willies.”

Also check out his follow-up blog post:

JohnUK
November 10, 2009 - 8:53 am

Hi Beth,

Raising the issue has helped the various discussions. The pro- BPA lobby are mainly ‘plastic’ company based which questions their objectivity. The best we can do is to ditch the items, as many mothers-to-be have already done, and promote proper investigations to get to the truth.

Dora
November 10, 2009 - 11:51 pm

Hi was looking some information about recycled paper and I found that recycled bathroom tissue has BPA!!!! That was a study made in Germany. BPA was found too in Thermal papers (used in cash register and fax machines). This is the name of the articule: Reused paper can be polluted – Environment – toxic substances found in recycled paper products – Brief Article

Science News, May 24, 2003

The link is: http://findarticles.com/p/arti…..ntent;col1

When I was reading the book cradle to cradle their said something like that. So Recycling is not good, because many products are not design to be recycled and they are downcycled instead.

Dora

Dora
November 10, 2009 - 11:52 pm

Hi Beth

I want to tell you that I like your Blog!!!

402 Posts
(Offline)
November 11, 2009 - 12:24 am

Hi Dora. I too have heard about BPA in recycled toilet paper. I think the reason is that people put their thermal paper and other coated papers into the recycling bin and it contaminates the recycled paper.

I do wonder what the level of BPA is in the paper. For myself, I prefer to buy recycled toilet paper because I feel that cutting down trees for toilet paper is a worse hazard for the environment than the small amount of BPA we might be exposed to. I mean, it’s not the same as food being stored in a BPA-lined container that is leaching. We only have brief contact with the TP, right? :-)

Others may differ and not want any contact with BPA at all.

You are also right about downcycling of plastic. My feeling is that we need to reduce our dependence on disposable plastic as much as possible so that we don’t need to recycle in the first place.

Dora
November 11, 2009 - 5:20 am

Hi Beth. Thanks a lot for this chat!!! Yes, I am agree with you that recycled paper save TREES. I am a biologist, I love TREES and NATURE and I know that the last thing to do from the 3R’s is recycling. I just want to say that The BPA found in recycled TP is going to add more BPA to the aquatic wildlife. So the message from all this mess with BPA is we have to Remaking the Way we Made Things. Cradle to Cradle instead Cradle to Grave. Good book !!!

However, if the presence of BPA in Recycled TP is due only to contamination so we need to be inform about it from the companies that made that TP and they should send the message to Public in order to avoid contamination from the recycled bin.

Again, thanks for let me share my concerns about BPA!!!

All RSSShow Stats