Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, Calif. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Read the Book
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
NEW updated version with foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Available NOW in beautiful 4-color trade paperback, original hardback, digital, or audio version (read by Beth Terry).
Take the Challenge!
Do You Know Your Plastic Footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
Join the Discussion
Most recent posts from the forum...
- Katracha on plastic free showerheads,plastic free waterDoes anybody know of any plastic free showerheads I have a fabric curtain and moved into my new apt this month and the showerhead is old and rusty and
- marion on Eco Vegan Toothbrush websitehello beth, hello folks, i thought you might like to know about my site cheers from marion https://ecotoothbrush.wordpress.com/
- Dylan on Best Yogurt Makers?I use my Instant Pot to make yogurt. The insert is stainless steel, sometimes I make the yogurt right inside the insert and sometimes I put glass jars
- MeganF on Best Yogurt Makers?Don't worry about the plastic material, it's sturdy enough to last for ever. I believe that electronic part will start malfunctioning before
- Noah on Alternatives to glow Sticks?Could biodegradable plastic be a more environmental friendly alternative for making glow sticks?
- Ros on waxed cloth (replacement for plastic wrap)Hi all, I have also been looking to get the ratios for jojoba oil and tree resin to bees wax - either it is a closely held secret or no one has yet tr
- Court on Bamboo ToothbrushesLate reply, but there is a silicone electric toothbrush. Not the best, but I know some people here use silicone feminine products. It's called th
- Kayvee on Microwave Splatter CoverI was looking to replace my plastic microwave cover. I did a search and found these These covers are made of glass with a silicone handle on top. http
- Laura on waxed cloth (replacement for plastic wrap)Hi there, I recently started making my own wraps using just cotton and beeswax.... I have looked at those that are sold online and noticed they all us
- smurf_goddess on Zero Waste Boxes from Terra CycleBeth Terry has mentioned Terra Cycle on the blog, so I am not sure if you all have seen this. They introduced new Zero Waste boxes so that if you want
Read more posts...
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
1. Carry reusable shopping bags.
2. Give up bottled water.
3. Shop your local farmers market.
4. Say no to plastic produce bags.
5. Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
6. Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
7. Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
8. Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer’s market to be reused.
9. Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
10. Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Read the rest here.