I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 746 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- LilDixieCups on Protein supplements without plastichttps://www.planetprotein.com/challenge#contact_form late to the post but check this out. PP packaged in bamboo bags
- Maddie on Plastic Pollution ResearchHi, My name is Maddie and I am currently researching the public opinion about plastic pollution and what is being done about addressing the issue. I
- Beth Terry on HangersI wouldn't trash existing plastic hangers and replace with new ones, but if I did need new ones, I would purchase wooden hangers or cardboard one
- TW on Plastic-free puking bagsWax coated paper barf bags are available. I know a plastic-free person who volunteered for a time to pick up college students at night which also brin
- Jill on NOT "Bulk" litter!!! Shame on Petco!^Refilling a "non-plastic container" from the bulk bin wouldn't be better, b/c as you take from the bin, they fill it with more bagged
- Bret on miso in glass?I just ran across this miso, which is packaged in glass: http://www.traditionmiso.com/
- Lau on HangersWhat are your thoughts on clothing hangers? Do you use any? If so, which ones?
- Paula on Plastic-free puking bagsHello everyone, I work for a whale-watching company and we have plastic bags for people who feel sick onboard our boat. Our company is aiming to go pl
- Jen on NOT "Bulk" litter!!! Shame on Petco!I was thinking of doing this myself, buying bulk litter from Petco. And it’s good that you’ve educated them on making conscious choices, I feel that m
- Tom Jones on New Plastics Economy Global CommitmentI am undertaking some university (UK) research on plastic use. "How can we change behaviour and attitudes towards plastic use. All comments welc
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.