Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 745 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Agis craftea corner on Styrofoam Cups and Plates- Large PartiesHi, I am Agi and I just started my plastic free and going towards zero waste journey. I done my research about some plastic alternatives, and I find s
- Beth Terry on Plastic caps recyclingHi. Good question. It looks like Gimme5 is now taking them. But first, check with your local recycling company to see if they want them. Here's i
- Dani on Styrofoam Cups and Plates- Large PartiesHi guys, just wondering, how would it be possible to stop using those enormous packs of styrofoam cups, plates, bowls and more during large parties or
- Tmil on Plastic Free StorageDoes anyone have tips for safely storing baby clothes without using plastic bins? Also, to safely keep mold, mildew and munchies who like to chew on n
- Meghna Natraj on Encourage your workplace to provide a reusable mug and bottleHi, I work at a company that built the most sustainable building on this planet this year. They are extremely dedicated to providing clean energy and
- coco on HumidifiersElise said We like to run a humidifier at night - we can't sleep without the noise it makes and it helps our allergies. Can anyone help? We
- John on Protein supplements without plasticHi, I was wondering if anyone out there had ideas for how to obtain plastic-free protein supplements. I'm trying to be a low-plastic-using vegan,
- DrKOS on Plastic-free hot water bottleHas anyone found a good plastic-free hot water bottle? I've found a gorgeous ceramic one and a few stainless ones, but I haven't tried any o
- Kristen on Spray BottlesHi, how about plant misters? There's one on Amazon that is plastic-free (per the Questions section) called Sustainable Village plant mister in ni
- Meghna on We need a Plastic Free Movie!WE NEED A MOVIE! (NETFLIX MOVIE/BBC/NATGEO) While movies like cowspiracy got people turning vegan, we know that people are concerned about the environ
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
MORE COOL STUFF
THAT'S A WRAP: A quick guide for getting started on your plastic-free path. Read my review here.
Read my review here.