Welcome. I’m Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as “Fake Plastic Fish”) to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 738 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too is your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don’t try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer’s market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Adam on SAS - surfersagainst sewage in Britain kicking off campaign against plasticsHi, love your blog and attitude! thought you'd like to know about a campaign group in Britain called Surfers against Sewage who are targetting pl
- Marie on Toilet paperHi Beth, Thank you. I ordered some and my husband does not like it. I can tolerate it though, for no plastic. I can't wait to read your review! T
- Beth Terry on AdhesivesI don't know of anything that's plastic-free in both product and packaging. Sugru would work, but it comes in plastic packets to keep it fro
- Kelsey on AdhesivesHey y'all! I'm fairly new to this blog so apologies if any of this is formatted incorrectly or if I should be asking this elsewhere. Anyhow,
- Chantal Corp. on Any electric kettles with plastic free interior?PLASTIC FREE INTERIOR Electric Kettle!! Unique design with a slow pour spout for craft coffee and perfect size for small spaces. Dual function too - g
- Beth Terry on Toilet paperHi. I have tried it. I like it, but I haven't reviewed it here yet because I am waiting for the owners to get back to me with answers to question
- Beth Terry on Plastic Free Living in CollegeHi. Welcome. Here's a guest post from a woman starting college who wanted to reduce plastic: https://myplasticfreelife.com/2009/08/kayla-bonczek-
- Helena Middleton on Plastic Free Living in CollegeHi, I have always been obsessed with helping the planet and being environmentally conscious. I am currently reading your book "Plastic Free"
- Marie on Toilet paperHi everyone, I'm still looking for plastic free toilet paper. Has anyone ever used whogiveacrap toilet paper service? I'd love to know if it
- Globalnipple on Alternatives to glow Sticks?What happen when the interior of a glowstick leaks out is it harmless ? - what biodegradeable plastics can contain glowstick chemicals ? What happens
Read more posts…
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the “Show Your Plastic Trash” Challenge! No guilt. Just education.