Looking to reduce the amount of plastic in your life? GET STARTED HERE.
Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Eco-Search on Life Without PlasticHello, If you new to the plastic free lifestyle you in the right place. Some people like to take baby steps when it come to a lifestyle change , other
- Kate on Plastic Free Shower Cap?I have longish hair and I use a hair elastic and put the ponytail up with a clip. The clip IS plastic, but I already owned it and am waiting for it t
- Jesse Forgeard on Resource for reusing cardboard and moving boxesHi! I found a platform called BoxGiver.com where people exchange cardboard boxes and packaging supplies. I thought this would be useful for anyone wh
- Jackie on Plastic Free Shower Cap?I am new to all this plastic free discussions, so might have missed something. I see that this question is 3 years old! Haven't found a good an
- D. Rees on Distilled White VinegarI also am looking for white vinegar in large glass bottles. Vinegar can replace so many awful toxic cleaning products that come in the eternal plastic
- Travis Johnson on Eco Friendly Boxes and Packaging - A Good Way to Enhance SalesEco-friendly packaging is very beneficial for all types of brands and retailers. This is because it not only helps them in minimizing the negative pac
- Vix on Cleaning and Collecting WasteHi there, Sorry not sure where to post this. When you have to throw trash out, is there anything we can do to reduce its impact. Like the way its stor
- Holly St Cyr on Tagging BarbsHello- There are Eco Alternatives to your plastic fastener on clothes from this discussion. Avery Dennison offers three different types of fasteners
- Mae on Best Yogurt Makers?This is an old thread, but in case it helps, I used the "oven light method," so after adding the culture I turn on the oven really low--not
- Andrew on Styrofoam/Polystyrene NYC BanHi, We've our goal same to that where we want to make the US pollution-free by providing such recycling services here at Phoenix Recycling
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.