Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 738 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Pádraig Floyd on Personal Care Products Sans PlasticDoes anyone know where I might source paperboard tubes and tubs for deodorants/lip balms/creams/etc? I want to produce these plastic free, but am stru
- Wina on Plastic Dental Night GuardHi- At 54 yo, I'm in what is called "the second phase of dentistry." ( Daughter in field) I've learned I clench my teeth. I have c
- Beth Terry on PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES POLLUTING OUR BEACHES/OCEANS !Hi, Katheryn. Would you like to also write a guest post for this site? If so, please contact me here: https://myplasticfreelife.com/contact-me/ (I sha
- Katheryn on PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES POLLUTING OUR BEACHES/OCEANS !Hello fellow ocean lover! I'm hoping you will sign and share my petition below simply because you love and appreciate our beaches and oceans as m
- Alakey on Any electric kettles with plastic free interior?Here are a couple of good options, you can not buy there, but at least you'll see the characteristics and appearance.) Steel and glass look good,
- Beth Terry on Board Gaming Community (Card Sleeves)This is the same conundrum my husband has over protective sleeves for his comic book collection. He has not found a solution for that either. Maybe so
- Amanda on Board Gaming Community (Card Sleeves)This is obviously a very niche query, however I still find myself in a pickle. EuroGames. Anyone here play them. I am deeply immersed in this communit
- Beth Terry on plastic fee freezingHi, Merle. I don't see any reason that you should switch from your current method. The only change I think I would make would be to use a reusabl
- dab on Plastic Free Alternative to Dish DrainboardAfter reading this little article, I realized I am OLD. My grandmother and mother never had a dish drain nor a dish board, they did dishes before the
- Merle Norman on plastic fee freezingPlease advise a method for freezing bread. We buy several loaves to reduce trips to the store. I place the paper wrapped bakery bread in a ziplock pla
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
MORE COOL STUFF
THAT'S A WRAP: A quick guide for getting started on your plastic-free path. Read my review here.
Read my review here.