Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 741 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Georgy on How to convince a company to switch their products to glass?my name is Georgy and i am singing about about the harmful effects of plastics on human health take a look and share
- Beth Terry on Silly Whole FoodsHi, Stacy. The management at individual stores makes those decisions. I've never had a problem bringing my own containers to the store in Berkele
- Stacy on Silly Whole FoodsI know that this post has beeen going on for a few years but I just called Whole Foods and they do let you bring your own containers! I’m sure that ev
- Beth Terry on How to convince a company to switch their products to glass?Hey, that's really cool looking. So you're not talking about making the whole thing out of glass, just the containers, right? Maybe contact
- Kat on How to convince a company to switch their products to glass?A while ago I found this amazing lunch box product as I am looking to cut down on space in my work bag and manage what I eat (Product here: https://ww
- Pádraig Floyd on Personal Care Products Sans PlasticDoes anyone know where I might source paperboard tubes and tubs for deodorants/lip balms/creams/etc? I want to produce these plastic free, but am stru
- Wina on Plastic Dental Night GuardHi- At 54 yo, I'm in what is called "the second phase of dentistry." ( Daughter in field) I've learned I clench my teeth. I have c
- Beth Terry on PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES POLLUTING OUR BEACHES/OCEANS !Hi, Katheryn. Would you like to also write a guest post for this site? If so, please contact me here: https://myplasticfreelife.com/contact-me/ (I sha
- Katheryn on PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES POLLUTING OUR BEACHES/OCEANS !Hello fellow ocean lover! I'm hoping you will sign and share my petition below simply because you love and appreciate our beaches and oceans as m
- Alakey on Any electric kettles with plastic free interior?Here are a couple of good options, you can not buy there, but at least you'll see the characteristics and appearance.) Steel and glass look good,
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
MORE COOL STUFF
THAT'S A WRAP: A quick guide for getting started on your plastic-free path. Read my review here.
Read my review here.