Welcome. I’m Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, Calif. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as “Fake Plastic Fish”) to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 730 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too is your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don’t try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer’s market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Mr.Applesauce on Thermal CarafeIn the same boat. Have an all SS press, now looking at a carafe.... with no avail
- Beth Terry on Plastic Free Alternative to Dish DrainboardThat's the drainboard I bought. Yeah, expensive. But I really do like it. The slant is great for letting the water run off. And it's rare to
- CaptainPlanet on Plastic-Free Zero Waste Dental Kit (And Packaging)In an effort to eliminate floss, toothpicks, etc. I'm looking for a plastic-free (vegan) zero waste dental kit or gum stimulator with plastic-fre
- CaptainPlanet on Plastic Free Alternative to Dish DrainboardThanks! So far, I've opted for the towel solution. But in the future, I hope to get this stainless steel drainboard: http://bit.ly/2h2irCu. I jus
- Beth Terry on Airtight Plastic-Free Spice Jar AlternativeWow. Thanks for letting us know about those plastic-free spice jars. I've never seen lids like that before.
- CaptainPlanet on Airtight Plastic-Free Spice Jar AlternativeThanks for the input! After hours of more research, I ended up purchasing these glass & stainless steel spice jars: http://amzn.to/2fWfO4S. Just a
- Beatrice on waxed cloth (replacement for plastic wrap)I tried the Mommypotamus recipe above and mine aren't coming out as I'd hoped. They don't cling like Mommypotamus says they should. Ev
- Danelfree on The Journey of a Plastic Water BottleIt looks like plastic is used in most of our acquisitions, so a theoretical path of plastic material till it gets useful once again, is good current k
- Jo on RE: Good video series on Pacific Garbage PatchReally enjoyed the first part, starting the second one now! Thanks for sharing :)
- Jo on What to do with Old Plastic ToysI've recently started a blog about green living, and would love for you all to check it out, specifically my post on what to do with old plastic
Read more posts…
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the “Show Your Plastic Trash” Challenge! No guilt. Just education.