Welcome. I’m Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as “Fake Plastic Fish”) to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 731 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too is your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don’t try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer’s market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Debra McNeely on Exactly what we didn't need....more plastic bags being used by pet owners to pick up after their pets!!!It appears to me that everyone with a dog uses plastic bags to pick up doggy poop. Plastic bags are provided at dog parks and at rest areas because it
- Sam on Plastic Free Toothbrush Subscription ServiceHey everyone, Full disclosure I'm looking to get some feedback on my business idea. Here's the link ViroBrush. My general belief is that mos
- Brenda on Prescription bottlesI have reactions to plastic prescription bottles..What is an alternative for me..it's really become a problem for me...my throat tightens and hur
- Allison Williams on Field Roast Grain Meat CompanyHello, I wrote one of my favorite food companies Field Roast Grain Meat Company and they actually wrote back! (They are amazing grain based vegetari
- JoseVe on What do you do with your old plastic bottlesHello all, Do you have any alternative ideas of recycling the old plastic bottles?? I just stacked up a lot of bottles after cleaning up my home. I d
- JoseVe on Cups for kidsI've also thought about it a lot of times. I really hate disposable cups. I think that they are just try to lessen their cleaning works.
- JoseVe on bacteria on night guardYou can purchase a dental sanitizing device instead. They are relatively affordable and this device will use UV light to effectively clean your mouth
- Anna on Plastic Free Alternative to Dish DrainboardUnder my dish drainer I put a flat stainless steel baking sheet - like a cookie sheet - from the thrift store. It fits perfectly and is slightly raise
- Axelle Fortier on Plastic Free Alternative to Dish DrainboardI am not willing to pay $60 for any drainboard, for crying out loud. However, I am willing to put two ancient rubber doorstops under a shallow broilin
- Beth Terry on Clear VinylHi. Vinyl (aka polyvinyl chloride or PVC) is tricky to dispose of because it contains toxic phthalates. In fact, the Center for Health, Environment, a
Read more posts…
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the “Show Your Plastic Trash” Challenge! No guilt. Just education.