Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 745 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Jennifer on Where did you start? Use it up or get it away from me?HI! Thank you first off. I am a mom of two, and I just wrote down a list of everything in my kitchen that is plastic. Well, It's just about every
- Ashley F on Styrofoam Cups and Plates- Large PartiesFor large parties (30-40 people) my friends and I have started to make the events "Bring Your Own Plate". Most people remember to bring a pl
- Ann on MattressesBeth's choice was a Berkeley product, a Bliss natural latex mattress. The only mattress I've been aware of is Lifekind. Are there others? Ar
- Julie on Enviroware & suggestions for getting rid of plastic sporks at schoolHello- I am new here. I just started my journey to reducing waste and plastic in my and my family's life. My daughter has gotten into it too and
- Andrea on Oui by YoplaitI am just starting to reduce my plastics, but I'm searching for new products to slowly adjust the family. I found this yogurt called Oui by Yopla
- Mary on Styrofoam Cups and Plates- Large PartiesWhat about something like this? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Earth-s-Natural-Alternative-Plates-9-Unbleached-50-Ct/164729630?wmlspartner=wlpa&select
- Agis craftea corner on Styrofoam Cups and Plates- Large PartiesHi, I am Agi and I just started my plastic free and going towards zero waste journey. I done my research about some plastic alternatives, and I find s
- Beth Terry on Plastic caps recyclingHi. Good question. It looks like Gimme5 is now taking them. But first, check with your local recycling company to see if they want them. Here's i
- Dani on Styrofoam Cups and Plates- Large PartiesHi guys, just wondering, how would it be possible to stop using those enormous packs of styrofoam cups, plates, bowls and more during large parties or
- Tmil on Plastic Free StorageDoes anyone have tips for safely storing baby clothes without using plastic bins? Also, to safely keep mold, mildew and munchies who like to chew on n
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
MORE COOL STUFF
THAT'S A WRAP: A quick guide for getting started on your plastic-free path. Read my review here.
Read my review here.