Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 744 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Stacy on Plastic caps recyclingI've saved up my plastic caps for months and was disappointed to find the contacts, "CapnCups" and "reCap Company" no longer
- Rob Hill on Plastic Dental Night GuardBPA-free is a smokescreen. The chemical companies have replaced it with BPS and BPF - far worse than BPA.
- eniver on Eco-friendly giftsHi there, could you please give me some ideas for eco-friendly gifts for wedding or X-mas? The price should be around 150$ Thank you so much in advanc
- Joy on plastic free freezingHi Jane! I have a lot of success freezing my vegetables and fruit in large glass jars. https://www.goingzerowaste.com/blog/you-can-freeze-smoothies Th
- Jane on plastic free freezingHi, I grow a big garden and do some canning of my produce. However, freezing is fast during that busy time of year and also, I think, keeps more of th
- Ash on How to convince a company to switch their products to glass?Ok this is a tough one, but I have an answer (a long one filled with typos and grammatical issues, but an answer nonetheless). My background: I have 3
- Heikki Naski on Shoe Outsoles (Microwaste)I'm worried about shoe outsoles since they produce a significant part of microwaste. I really don't like the idea that every time I go hikin
- Beth Terry on How to convince a company to switch their products to glass?Thank you for sharing this with us! Congratulations!
- Mike on Northwest Territory apparel, etc.Hi Beth, Thanks for your site! Been searching the internet for someone who agrees: Way too much plastic in this world! Just got back from the only K-M
- Georgy on How to convince a company to switch their products to glass?my name is Georgy and i am singing about about the harmful effects of plastics on human health take a look and share
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
MORE COOL STUFF
THAT'S A WRAP: A quick guide for getting started on your plastic-free path. Read my review here.
Read my review here.