Looking to reduce the amount of plastic in your life? GET STARTED HERE.
Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Michelle on NOT "Bulk" litter!!! Shame on Petco!After getting a refill of cat litter from Petco today, somehow I ran across this post. I was so curious what they actually use to refill their large
- Doricdragons on Issues with acrylic yarnAcrylic is definitely not fire retardent, it goes up in seconds, wool is very fire retardent.
- Beluga on NOT "Bulk" litter!!! Shame on Petco!Eve Stavros said Yesterday's trip to Petco to buy cat litter sure opened my eyes!!! They fill the bulk bin from small plastic bags. Guess I shou
- yuli9691 on Spray BottlesI realise this is years later, but I went through some of the answers and noticed that most of them had plastic on them or really bad reviews (really
- SandraDGuz on free environmental teaching resources for kidsEco-friendly practices to teach kidsEnvironmental Education for kids
- miladrealestate on Pick the best Redwood Shores houses for saleWant to detect the best Redwood Shores houses for sale? Miladrealestate.com help you in search of a suitable buyer for your house. We are expertise in
- Farmstead at Luminar on Alternative to Shrink BagsI raise pastured poultry and am hunting an alternative to plastic shrink bags. These are used to package and store processed chickens in the freezer.
- Peca on Edible cutlery for coffee and tea. No more plasticA great supstitute for singe use cutlery, spoons, check this out. http://www.myspoon.eu also production video in spanish. https://es.euronews.com/202
- Azizul Islam on Distilled White VinegarHi, We are manufacturing our own distilled white vinegar and already exporting to Australia. If you want to import we can provide you with other types
- Eco-Search on Life Without PlasticHello, If you new to the plastic free lifestyle you in the right place. Some people like to take baby steps when it come to a lifestyle change , other
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.