Looking to reduce the amount of plastic in your life? GET STARTED HERE.
Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant living in Greenbelt, MD (by way of the San Francisco Bay Area). In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 751 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Andrew on Styrofoam/Polystyrene NYC BanHi, We've our goal same to that where we want to make the US pollution-free by providing such recycling services here at Phoenix Recycling
- James Rotunda on what to do with old polyester clothesI like my colorful polyester shirts...They seem to last forever, and never need ironing...I guess, I'll be wearing them, until I finally kick the
- mac on Vitamins and herbal supplementsViridian have an eco friendly approach. Glass vitamin bottles which you can take back to the shop you bought them from. Meanwhile, Vitamin Buddy send
- Wade on Plastic Wrap/ Cling Film Alternatives?Hey guys! I have personally come to loathe and despise plastic in every form! You should see how irked I get when I see something that looks like be
- William on HumidifiersThis is a start... SI Glossy (purehumidifier.com) Same concept here: series1000.pdf (armstronginternational.com) Probably has to be an industrial
- chin woo on Shower curtainsword counter This is quite important, I will consider using it!
- Ana on Is Bamboo Toothbrush using PBT as a base for brisals biodegradable?I have a Bamboo Toothbrush. Manufacturer claims that they do not use Nylon material which is non-biodegradable instead they are using Polybutylene ter
- Julian Minehan on Any electric kettles with plastic free interior?Hello, I had the same question a couple of weeks ago when i was considering starting a new shopify store. At the time, I got advice from some people w
- Grace Carpet on Any electric kettles with plastic free interior?Sparky would sit politely on the step that separated the living room from the dining room, and never venture beyond it unless she was called. Even whe
- Jason Pitt on Shoe Outsoles (Microwaste)The outsole of the shoes is of rubber as the rubber provides grip to your shoes and does not slip while walking. I have a few pair of Wholecut shoes a
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.