I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, California. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 746 posts.
Read the Book!
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Toois your illustrated, practical guide to living with less plastic, updated with new chapter and foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Click here to learn more.
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer's market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Beth Terry on Plastic collected, now what...?You can only do as much as you can. It sounds like you really are on the right track. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed!
- Beth Terry on Hygiene productsThis is the toilet paper I use: https://myplasticfreelife.com/2017/09/who-gives-a-crap-recycled-or-bamboo-toilet-paper-without-plastic/ NatraCare mak
- Sally on Potty and Toilet TrainingWhat about a ‘family toilet seat’. I found this alternative, just ordered so will see how it goes. https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/ceramica-combination-
- Berina on Oui by YoplaitI am also using these cute jars! So happy to learn they're offering the reusable lids :D
- Katie on Bags for selling breadSo sorry it took so long for me to reply. The first 100 bags I purchased from here: https://www.brpboxshop.com/3262.html. When I ran out of those I or
- Andrea on Cloth diaper covers - safe in the wash?I don't know about the leaching from the PUL covers, but check out wool covers. There are some adorable covers available on Green Mountain Diape
- Kerry on Plastic Free Shower Cap?Hi All- Does anyone know of a source for a plastic free shower cap (not a towel wrap for your head)? I have been looking all over with no luck. Than
- Rosilyn on Plastic collected, now what...?Beth Terry said I guess the question is what you are saving it for. Are you saving it to do something with it? If not, you will have to donate, reus
- Catherine on Reusable plastic free cutlery setsHi, I work at a school with a four hundred population. We have a school canteen which serves food with single-use plastic cutlery (ouch!). I'm t
- Christine on Hygiene productsWhere can I get items like sanitary napkins and toilet paper not wrapped in plastic?
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.