Welcome. I'm Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, Calif. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as "Fake Plastic Fish") to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Read the book
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
The guide book I wish had existed 7 years ago. Available NOW in beautiful 4-color hard cover. Or download Digital or Audio version (read by Beth Terry).
- From: August 23, 2014 12:00 am to August 27, 2014 12:00 amLocation: National Museum of Marine Biology, 2 Houwan Road, Checheng, Pingtung, 944, Taiwan, R.O.C.Description: https://www.sow.org.tw/blog?page=2
- Date: August 28, 2014From 7:30 pm to 8:30 pmLocation: Earth Guardians Pavilion, Black Rock City, NVDescription: Author/World's leading anti-plastic Blogger Beth Terry will share her journey from self-confessed plastic junkie to empowered plastc-free activist and explain
- Date: August 30, 2014From 2:00 pm to 3:00 pmLocation: Earth Guardians Pavilion, Black Rock City, NVDescription: Author/Blogger Beth Terry will discuss how she built her blog, My Plastic Free Life, into the world's leading anti-plastic blog.
- Date: August 30, 2014From 3:00 pm to 4:00 pmLocation: Earth Guardians Pavilion, Black Rock City, NVDescription: Annie & Beth will demonstrate how to make a T shirt bag that you can then use as a MOOP
- Date: September 18, 2014From 7:00 pm to 8:30 pmLocation: Wells Fargo Auditorium, Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center, University of Nevada, Reno, NVDescription: This is a public event.
- Date: October 4, 2014From 4:30 pm to 6:00 pmLocation: Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Airport Hotel, 5985 W Century Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, United StatesDescription: Session 18: Living the Waste Free & Plastic Free Life. More information at: http://shiftconmedia.com.
Take the Challenge!
Do You Know Your Plastic Footprint?
Join participants around the world in the "Show Your Plastic Trash" Challenge! No guilt. Just education.
Join the Discussion
- sarah on what to do with old polyester clothesEvery time you wash a polyester garment micro plastics are washed into the water and eventually these micro plastics end up in the ocean where its kil [… Read More]
- Beth Terry on The plastic gardernHi Stephen. This site is dedicated to reducing our use of plastic, not increasing it. We are looking for plastic-free, less toxic ways of gardening. [… Read More]
- Stephen Dlamini on The plastic gardernLearn to use normal plastic to produce vegetables by reading my Plastic garden handbook. ISBN 978-1-4931-4147-0. E book978-1-4931-4148-7 [… Read More]
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Here are my top 99 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don't try to do it all at once!
1. Carry reusable shopping bags.
2. Give up bottled water.
3. Shop your local farmers market.
4. Say no to plastic produce bags.
5. Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
6. Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
7. Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
8. Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer’s market to be reused.
9. Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
10. Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Read the rest here.