Welcome. I’m Beth Terry, an accountant from Oakland, Calif. In 2007, I unexpectedly found myself an activist, author, and public speaker after learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution and my own plastic footprint. This site has evolved from a simple blog (formerly known as “Fake Plastic Fish”) to a comprehensive resource on plastic-free living. Please explore, join a challenge, ask questions, subscribe. Together, we can change the world.
Recent Blog Posts
Click image to read story, or peruse all 760 posts.
Read the Book!
NEW updated version with foreword by musician Jack Johnson. Available NOW in beautiful 4-color trade paperback, original hardback, digital, or audio version (read by Beth Terry).
Here are my top 100 steps to get started on a plastic-free journey. Choose a few to begin with. Don’t try to do it all at once!
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Give up bottled water.
- Shop your local farmers market.
- Say no to plastic produce bags.
- Buy from bulk bins as often as possible.
- Cut out sodas, juices, and all other plastic-bottled beverages.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags.
- Return containers for berries, cherry tomatoes, etc. to the farmer’s market to be reused.
- Bring your own container for meat and prepared foods.
- Choose milk in returnable glass bottles.
Join the Discussion
- Beth Terry on Buying meat at the meat counterLike Wendy suggested, do you have a local butcher shop nearby? Also, I'm wondering why that older butcher cared about putting raw meat into your
- kwattam on Holiday Plastic AlternativesMy sister has just gotten into knitting, and I'm using balls of wool from charity shops to cushion the family's Christmas present parcel :)
- Wendy on Buying meat at the meat counterTry your local butcher. Our's has better prices and are very happy to sell us meat, cheese and local seafood in our jars. They appreciate our bus
- RobinNS on Buying meat at the meat counterI tried buying meat at the meat counter using my own container. First time I did it at Safeway the butcher was a young guy that was super excited th
- Rene on Any electric kettles with plastic free interior?https://www.amazon.com/BrewGlobal-Brewista-SmartPour-Stainless-BKV12S02/dp/B01CFHAIBQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1480110118&sr=8-1&keywor
- claire on Plastic Free Alternative to Dish Drainboardi just have a designated set of older (not super nice) dish towels that we put under there, and i change it out twice a week. no mold problems, as lon
- Beth Terry on Airtight Plastic-Free Spice Jar AlternativeThis is the kind I have: http://amzn.to/2eP1xEy Unfortunately, the small inner shaker top is plastic, but the outer top is metal. I haven't seen
- CaptainPlanet on Airtight Plastic-Free Spice Jar AlternativeI want to begin buying spices in bulk, and I am looking for airtight plastic-free spice jars with plastic-free shaker tops and lids to store spices in
- sun on Thermal CarafeI've had this one for at least 13 years: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/492722015463431537/. Actually, I think I have an older model... It origin
- CaptainPlanet on Plastic Free Alternative to Dish DrainboardI'm having trouble finding an affordable alternative to the plastic dish drainboard that goes underneath the dish drain. The stainless steel opti
Read more posts…
My Plastic-Free Life Videos
Take the Challenge!
Do you know your plastic footprint?
Join participants around the world in the “Show Your Plastic Trash” Challenge! No guilt. Just education.