Back to dealing with plastic. I wonder if it’ll be another whole year before I have a second plastic-free week.
Plastic items used this week but purchased before the plastic project began:
- 1 plastic wrapper from a Wholphin DVD. I subscribed to Wholphin before starting this project. I believe I’ve received my last DVD, and I won’t be renewing. The really stupid thing is that I haven’t watched any of them since I subscribed. I used to buy a lot of things that I didn’t end up watching or using. My friend Axelle is currently borrowing these DVDs. Hope she’s enjoying them.
- 1 Ikea fluorescent light bulb. The weight of this week’s tally includes both the plastic and the glass because I can’t weigh them separately. Instead of saving this light bulb in plastic purgatory, I’ll be getting the mercury out of the house as soon as possible and dropping it off at Cole Hardware on 4th Street in SF. Yes, I realize Ikea will also take them back. But Cole Hardware is easier for me to get to via BART.
- 2 Bandaids. Or as they call them in the U.K., plasters. This will teach me not to to let the kitties’ nails get too long! Had to cover up some nasty scratches on my foot.
New plastic purchased since the plastic project began and used this week:
- Plastic bag of Instinct dry cat food. Mostly Soots and Arya get wet food from cans, as I’ve previously mentioned. But we do give them a little dry here and there so their teeth will have something to crunch.
- Plastic pizza box top holder upper thingie. I found this under the refrigerator! I think it arrived in a pizza a few months ago before we started remembering to request pizzas without the little plastic thingie in the middle. Nowadays, we always ask, and our pizzas never stick to the top.
- 1 Refresh Endura single use eyedrop container. My eyes have been doing pretty well without drops until this last week.
- Plastic shipping label cover from a package sent from Canada. Don’t know if this type of plastic is required to ship from Canada. Anyone else know?
- 1 plastic tag hanger from a To-go Ware tiffin I bought from the Ecology Center. I’m thinking this little container will be much safer for bringing home hot leftovers than the plastic Tupperware to-go container I had been using.
- Plastic seal from around the neck of another jar of Fudge Is My Life fudge sauce. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Fudge Is My Life is the best fudge sauce I have ever tasted. Axelle and I had a little taste test this weekend, comparing it to some sauces from The King’s Cupboard, which we got for free at Whole Foods. (Why? Because the guy in the chocolate sauce department liked us!) The TKC sauces were good. But FIML won hands down.
Okay, gonna be more careful this week. After all, I have enough dessert toppings to last for a while. What else could I possibly need?