August 1, 2007

SoyaPower to the People

My SoyaPower soy milk maker arrived today, and I made my first batch of homemade soy milk tonight. (The dried soy beans have to soak for 8-10 hours, so I put them in water this morning and made the soy milk when I came home.) This is a magical piece of kitchen equipment. You put in water and the soaked beans, press a button, and 15-20 minutes later, you have soy milk. And it tastes good. And the texture is smooth. After it cools, you can add sweetener or any other flavors you want. But actually, I tasted the unsweetened soy milk tonight, and I have to say it’s quite refreshing without anything else added.

Okay, so you want to know about the plastic and the packaging? That, after all, is what we’re here for, right? First the good news. Sanlinx, Inc ships the soy milk maker in its own box, so there is no extra packaging. Inside the box holding the machine in place are molded paper pulp forms rather than styrofoam.

Now, the plastic news. Plastic inside the box includes: a plastic bag covering the machine, plastic coating on the outside of the machine itself (more on that below), a plastic zip-lock bag containing a nylon scrubber and plastic brush for cleaning the machine, a starter supply of soy beans in a plastic bag, a plastic measuring cup, and a plastic drip pan inside a plastic bag. Some of the accessories are nice but unnecessary for me. I wish instead of automatically including these things, Sanlinx would list them as options. I don’t need a plastic measuring cup or scrubber or even the beans. I already bought beans in anticipation of the new machine.

And okay, I did have a choice between the machine with plastic coating on the outside and the one with bare stainless steel. The plastic coating keeps the machine cool to the touch, unlike the regular SoyaJoy machine whose bare stainless steel gets very hot. I chose safety and convenience over plastic-conservation this time. I’m rationalizing by weighing this amount of plastic against all the packaging I’ll be saving: at least 52 plastic-coated cardboard cartons and plastic caps per year!

Another nice thing about using the soy milk maker is that in addition to soy milk, you also get okara, which is the leftover soy bean fiber. The okara can be used in all kinds of recipes, from veggie burgers to breads or cakes. I’m actually wondering if I could use it to make a hummus-like spread for us, if I could only figure out how to make it taste like Haig’s, the best hummus in the world.

22 Comments on "SoyaPower to the People"

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted

Does this gadget make other plant milks? One of our family members has a soy allergy.

@MelissaGraves Yes, it will make nut milks and other kinds of “milks.”

Actually I am not habituate to reply a comment on blogs but this blog caught my attention and I am compelled to write a comment here to express my gratitude to you. I would like to appreciate for this awesome work. Can I get more like this?
<a href=””>write my research paper online<a/>

Get Me Out Of Here

Thanks for posting this informative article. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post…..Really i am impressed from this post….the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.

I appreciate you for giving such a informative portal. Your site is not just informative but also very creative too. I Myself went over several websites to find information about this.I will check back often!!

it really looks great! now i will be able to do the jobs in my home alone and not here these

3 years 10 days ago

i personally believe that with tips like,1100449.html these it should be easier to deal with any stain!

[…] maker – Back when Beth posted about getting a soy milk maker and making her own, I was using lots of soy milk, and it sounded like a great idea.  I had to have […]

It sounds like a nice thing to find an alternative to “normal” milk – since I know we’re all consuming way too much dairy and meat – but after hearing that a lot of soy is planted on land that used to be rain forest, I am wondering whether soy milk is actually an environmentally friendly alternative.
I’ve switched to milk-like products based on oat and spelt for that reason (not rice, though, because of all the methane that, I’m told, is emitted in the process of growing it), but haven’t found any plastic-free way to purchase it.
I tried… Read more »

Bankruptcy Ben

Hmmmm I’m trying to rationalize this purchase at the moment… I have so many other kitchen do dads though. It does appeal to all my money saving/vego principals though:)

This is a pretty old thread… BUT… in case you still haven’t found any uses for the okara…. you need to check this out:
.-= Danielle´s last blog ..Green Police Video =-.

[…] Sojamelk Je kan je eigen sojamelk maken. Meer in deze post Dit heb ik zelf nog niet gedaan. Ben je het van plan. Laat het weten en deel je machine met je […]

Fake Plastic Fish

Hi Tanya. I never really did find a good use for the okara. It does seem like a waste, doesn’t it?

2 months 9 days ago

I recently made my first batch of soy milk (without a machine) and used the okara the next morning as a thickener for an omelet. I scrambed the okara and eggs together before pouring it into the pan. It came out nice and fluffy! :)

Tanya Seaman

You mentioned in an article about your coffee-making system that you don’t like to make soy milk because it’s hard to clean your soy-milk maker. I had the same feeling about using mine (SoyaToy), and so I ran it without the heating cycle and heated it afterward on the stove. I don’t know if your has this option? But it meant that the filter cup didn’t get all gummy. I also have made it with other beans, my favorite being garbanzo. (You get a really creamy, yogurty texture with these.) I also double-batch it because I think the standard recipe… Read more »

Recipe for hummus: 15 oz. garbanzos-cooked, canned or fresh. 1/4 c tahini (sesame paste). 1/4 c lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon). 1/4c veg. broth or water. 2-3 cloves of garlic, coursely chopped. 1 tsp cumin. Salt and pepper to taste. Few drops of Tabasco (optional). 1/4 c olive oil.
Put everything except olive oil into food processor or blender, blend until smooth. Add olive oil slowly through opening in top. If you’d like to add your soy stuff, either adjust seasonings or use less garbanzo beans. Enjoy with grilled pita. Warning: This… Read more »

Beth in the Fake Plastic Fish Tank

What brand is the other guy’s machine?

Least Footprint

We use the other guys Soy Milk machine and it works very well too. I always throw in a little bit of brown rice when I make the milk and it adds just a touch of sweetness. After it has finished I then add a T. of agave nectar and a t. of vanilla since my wife likes it sweet like the store bought. It is a lot cheaper than buying the aseptic cartons of milk in the store.

First time I bought soybeans I filled up a huge glass jar full and then discovered how few… Read more »

Beth in the Fake Plastic Fish Tank

We buy our dried soybeans in bulk from a local natural foods store, Berkeley Bowl, in (where else?) Berkeley, CA. Do you have a store in your area that sells bulk beans, rice, nuts, etc.?

Alternatively, you can order soy beans online from this site:

The soy beans that they sell are from a small family farm and are non-GMO. They sell 10 pounds for $8.00. That’s a lot cheaper than buying soy milk from the store. To make 1 batch of soy milk, you only need about 1/4 of a pound each… Read more »

Stretch Mark Mama

So where do you buy the soybeans?? Are they expensive? We drink all soymilk and probably use 4-6 cartons a week.