February 21, 2011

How To Request No Plastic and Get What You Ask For

Let’s make a list…

A common rant throughout the Show Your Plastic Trash Challenge is frustration over how to get restaurant servers or store clerks or delivery people to hear our requests for no plastic straw or cup or utensils or containers or bags or whatever and to actually honor our wishes.  Several people are irritated to receive plastic packaging or utensils even after they clearly request not to have them.

Challenge participants have left ideas and suggestions for each other in the comments.  Here are just a few.  Let’s try to come up with more.

Marissa: Show a picture. I ask servers “Do you know how much plastic you use in a week?” Then I follow it up with, “I do and it doesn’t make me happy to know I’m contributing to this…” Then I pull out a cut out picture I found in a magazine of a sea bird with nothing but plastic in his belly!  Yes, this may seem extreme but it’s worked many times. People never forget me either. And I once had a server tell me, weeks later after I should him my picture, that he is starting a “Plastic Free” Student Club at the local University….and he decided after 3 years of being undecided that he wants to study marine biology after researching the plastic in our oceans!!! It was the happiest day ever, next to getting married of course!!!

I love Marissa’s idea, and I’ve already uploaded photos of a dead albatross, several plastic-strewn beaches, and a sea turtle eating plastic to my phone to use as an illustration of exactly why I don’t want that plastic bag or container.   It’ll be interesting to see what reactions I get.

Photo of dead albatross chick with plastic trash in my mobile phone

Kay Pere:  Speak to Managers. Over the past year, I’ve been trying to make it a habit to say “no straw” when ordering a beverage and “no disposable plastic” when ordering a meal with varying success….

I have, on occasion, asked to speak with a manager about plastic items that appeared with my meal after my request was forgotten or ignored…. I did this in a way that was understanding of their workload, with an understanding that they really are interested in knowing how best to serve the needs of their customers.

Many restaurant managers and servers are acutely aware of the amount of waste that goes on in they’re business, and they hate it…. By talking with a manager, he or she then has an opportunity to make suggestions up the corporate food chain that can reduce wastefulness while making things better environmentally.

Danielle:  Repeat your request several times. Now what we do is when we order our drinks we start off with the statement, “All regular glasses. No kids cups. No disposable cups. No straws, please.” Then when the last person has ordered their drink we reiterate “No kids cups. No straws.” Whenever we get weird looks about our kids having regular glasses, we explain to our server that “we don’t use kids cups or straws at home… they’ll be fine… thank you” :) I love when we get servers that say, “AWESOME” because then I know they get it :) AND… in the event that we get a server who just doesn’t listen and brings our kids drinks in kids cups (this doesn’t happen anymore)… we send the drinks back. If they have to make drinks 2x… they’ll learn to get it right.

Take out containers: I think that it’s best to put your leftovers in the container yourself. Last week, I took my kids out to dinner and ordered my husband food to take home to him (he was sick). I let the server bring me the food (like I was going to eat it at the restaurant) and then put it in my own container. Did I get a strange look? Absolutely. But I don’t care :)

Also, as you do this more… you’ll find that it becomes easier. People will start to recognize you and know your requests. (When we went to dinner the other night, the manager of the restaurant told his staff “No plastic on their table.” haha… loved it!!)

Beth: Demonstrate alternatives. I find that the best way to ask for no straw is to pull out my glass straw and show it to the server as I’m making my request. Or show them my reusable utensils or bag or whatever. I think showing them physical items breaks them out of auto-pilot mode and helps them remember. Usually.

Lisa:  Leave a card. Lisa from Take Out Without has spearheaded a campaign to urge restaurant goers to take home less waste.  She’s created downloadable wallet cards to hand out at restaurants offering strategies for reducing their packaging waste.  It can also serve as talking points for your discussions with store managers and staff.

What successful strategies have you used to get your point across in stores and restaurants and leave without any plastic waste?

36 Comments on "How To Request No Plastic and Get What You Ask For"

anonymous
4 years 9 days ago

I work at the Oakland Zoo and while I am proud to say that our zoo does not allow guests to bring plastic drink-lids and straws (they are the most common trash item that we have to fish out of our animal’s exhibits) into our zoo, our food court still provides only plastic cutlery, our kids-meals come with plastic toys in plastic wrap, we have plastic cup/water cooler combos in our offices, our gift shop sells tons of plastic toys and gifts, and our marketing department often collaborates with companies that are less than environmentally conscious. In such a big, bureaucratic organization, it’s hard to make changes. Even at a place that purports to be conservation and education minded.

Piper

I asked our local Sierra Club if they would consider not offering plastic cups, plates and utensils at the annual Christmas potluck and instead publishing a reminder in the newsletter and in emails that people should bring their own service. Then we could have a few paper plates and cups and a few washable utensils in case people forgot. They basically gave me the brushoff and said plastic was easier and it would be discriminating against people who rode their bikes to the potluck to make them bring their own table service and a whole laundry list of excuses. I’ve given up with trying to get others to do anything too complicated. Not even environmental organizations care.

Joddle

@juna the problems posed by making ‘the right choice’ are multi-layered and I think often of the ripple effect that you mention.

The main thing is that we should all try to our bit, I think, while recognising that other people have other priorities.

For example, my housemates choose not recycle even though I have offered to take anything to the recycling point for them. One said he didn’t know how!

I wasn’t gonna teach him. Surely everyone knows you can recycle newspapers…

Anyway, I think him saying he didn’t know how to do it was equivalent to him saying he couldn’t be bothered. Although I don’t understand it I would rather not get stressed about it. I offered help and it was rejected.

Getting annoyed at people working in shops or restaurants might not help either as they are just there to do their work and get paid.

People who are concerned by these issues should avoid shopping at places which use plastic packaging etc as this is the only way to have your conscience avoid the plastic waste issue

juna

Joddle… I agree. I would feel very badly about wasting the food so my conscious was clear about not using plastic. And I would also have felt badly about the ripple affect of my actions, because I even feel bad right now to hear that the kitchen help was yelled at. Hopefully he didn’t lose his job, we all need one. The wasted food and perhaps the gasoline used to return it… unless on foot, is not worth the “environmental reasons.”

Joddle

– rebeca

Your experience ordering food out is exactly the kind of uncomfortable
situation I wish to avoid. I would have felt awkward, and felt bad
about the wasted food.

Living in London, England, it is possible to avoid restaurants which
use excess or plastic waste packaging for convenience food in my
neighbourhood.

One thing I haven’t been able to avoid successfully, however, is the
plastic waste generated at events I attend. Even if I don’t eat the
catered food, I feel that my presence is contributing to the plastic
having been bought in the first place, and later wasted (as food is
ordered per person)

Marie

I love this! I work in a grocery store and I cringe whenever I have to ask “paper or plastic” but at our grocery store, we have a rewards card that accumulates to $5 then you get that $5 off your next grocery bill, and if you bring in your own bags to reuse you get 5 cents for each bag! I love it!

Kisha

Ok, I’ll admit to being a doofus. I just read your plastic-free guide and it was VERY helpful answering my questions. Thanks!!!!! LOL

Kisha

Ok, I’m new to all of this so…couple of questions I have are: Where can I purchase glass straws? What types of containers do you take into restaurants to wrap up your leftovers? What do you do in supermarkets with the plastic that is on meats or bags of potatoes (although I have a nice market to shop in that I could use my own bags but sometimes do shop at the store)? How can I encourage my place of employment to recycle? I notice we throw a lot of things away and I normally take it home to recycle but it would be nice if we participated as a business. Thanks! P.S. Beth, I am a friend of Ellen’s (love her)! :)

dottie

I just want to start out by saying that I DO really enthusiastically support (and go along with) what all of you are doing.

However, if you care about the environment and other issues (which you all obviously do), maybe you should think twice about going to restaurants so much in the first place. Usually the food has traveled wayy too far (travel=gasoline), is probably loaded with pesticides and other nasty chemicals, and was probably grown with not-so-environmentally friendly practices. Take a look at Michael Pollan’s often cited book Omnivores Dillemma, or just do a search for “sustainable community agriculture.”

So I guess what I am trying to say is maybe choose restraints who have the same ideals as you do, or just avoid them as much as possible.

Just be polite

Nicolas Camille

I like your initiatives very much.
But I think we can all do better than with a straw, even when it is a first step!

I saw some time ago a Powerpoint with the problem of plastic bottles in the ocean.
And I decided at that time to make myself a little step in the right direction.

I bought a thermos for myseld and I take it now all day with me to my work, filled with natural water, what I have at home.
Before this change, I had every day a plastic water bootle with me.
By this change I have water, have a greener attitude and I have not to pay every 6 days for 6 plastic bottles (1,5 liter per bottle) at least 5 €.

That’s why I suggest to all of you to try to do this the same way.
It is only a small step for everyone, but it will be a great step when we all will do it!

Carrie

Am I the only one who thinks that showing pictures of dead animals to an unsuspecting waitress borders on abuse? People have different levels of tolerance for such graphic images. I agree that asking for no plastic is a good waste reduction strategy, but confronting someone with disturbing images during the middle of their workday is over-the-top.

[…] are several ways to request people for no plastic: http://myplasticfreelife.com/2011/02/how-to-request-no-plastic-and-get-what-you-ask-for/ . I only have one approach, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Leave a Comment LikeBe the […]

If I’m feeling annoyed or like I don’t want to deal with “the look,” or I’m somewhere I’ve never been and likely won’t return to, I tell people I’m allergic to plastic and leave it at that. People are more respectful of health concerns than they are of ethical concerns.

I also make sure to fill out a comment card whenever I see one. I figure that managers/owners have more time to read comment cards than they do to listen to me during a busy serving time. I always tip higher for a server who remembers my request, and I tell them why I’m tipping higher, too.

rebeca

Ugh! My husband and I had the most frustrating experience the other day trying to order subs just in the wrapper w/o the usual accompanying (and TOTALLY redundant/unnecessary) styrofoam box. We ordered over the phone, when we got there, the girl that we had spoken to check and said “you’re the ones w/o styrofoam right?” We confirmed that and heard her go back to the kitchen and tell them to only wrap the sub, not put it in the box. When our order came (in an unnecessary paper bag) it seemed large, but we had gone over it all so we just took it and left because we were starving. We got home and sure enough, not only was our order in two styrofoam boxes, but it wasn’t what we wanted. Instead of subs, we had wraps! So we called, the girl said they misunderstood her in the kitchen, I heard her tell her manager some story about how we were allergic to styrofoam and couldn’t eat the food now, we had to bring the food back in and they would replace it. So (really starving by now and 1 hr after we expected to have eaten) we went back, re-explained what we wanted and why we didn’t want the styrofoam and how we wanted subs not wraps. We waited for our order which took extra long because the guy in the kitchen still misunderstood and made wraps instead of just wrapping the subs in paper, heard the manager yell at the guy, who was simply not undersanding what was being explained to him, and then asked if we wanted to the wrapped subs in a plastic bag. I said “NO!, the point is to avoid plastics. We’re not allergic to it. We are doing this for environmental reasons, and we don’t need a paper bag either. Just the subs. Thank you.” Anyway, I think they know us there now and it shouldn’t happen again, but, OY!

The main point being, if you go somewhere where the staff are not native English speakers, remember to be extra careful explaining what you want and don’t want and why.

What is more important? Environmental Edition | Radical Turtle

[…] convenience or a simple no-straw please? that's my mascot […]

One strategy: be a regular customer at a local business. And in the case of a restaurant, be effusive in thanks when they get it right, and leave a big tip.

It’s easier for people to remember what we want when they remember us–and it’s been my experience that waiting until I’m asked about avoiding plastic to explain has resulted in that point of view being heard and appreciated.

I’ve found this one to be such a challenge. I often repeat myself multiple times or will kindly not accept the disposables, but sometimes they just put it down anyways. Need to come up with a better plan. Some great ideas here.

I think most servers aren’t being rude, they’ve just so many things on their minds, they can’t listen. Ordering no whipped cream is likely just as problematic as asking for no plastic. So I love the idea to SHOW the server your glass straw. Gotta get me one of those. thx!