February 4, 2011

Plastic-free Drinking Straws: Paper, Glass, & Stainless Steel

Paper Drinking Straws

While on my trip this week, I visited Disney’s Animal Kingdom and discovered paper straws. Yep. Disney offers guests Aardvark paper straws at its Animal Kingdom park to protect the animals from ingesting plastic straws that, despite the Disney staff’s best efforts, might escape into the environment.  (Unfortunately Disney uses plastic straws in its other parks.)

paper drinking straw

These paper straws are not the flimsy things we had in elementary school back in the day. They are sturdy and hold up until your drink is finished.

paper drinking straw

According to Aardvark’s web site, the straws are made from “a thick paper, then coated to protect them from liquid.” I wanted to know what that coating was, so I emailed the company. Their response: Aardvark straws are “made from FDA food grade materials (paper/wax/adhesive).” In addition, they are “biodegradable, compostable and made in the USA.”

I don’t think it’s a perfect straw. Regardless of whether the materials are safe, it’s still a single-use disposable product. But I do think that in a big group situation where straws will be used, they are a good alternative to plastic. Maybe at a school?

GlassDharma straw

Glass Straws

I, on the other hand, carry with me a reusable Glass Dharma drinking straw. It’s a great conversation starter, and when I pull it out at a restaurant, it helps the server remember not to bring me a disposable straw. Glass Dharma straws also some with their own cleaning brush. Read my full review of Glass Dharma drinking straws here.

Stainless Steel straws

Some people are wary of glass, worrying that it will break. I’ve never broken a glass straw, but I can imagine that they might not hold up in the hands of kids. A better option for those folks might be stainless steel straws.  My only issue with a stainless steel straw is that since you can’t see through it, it’s hard to know if it’s clean or not.

Whatever your choice, just remember to ask for no plastic straw.

31 Comments on "Plastic-free Drinking Straws: Paper, Glass, & Stainless Steel"

Anna
6 months 23 days ago

@Sonja Straws a life saver when you’re wearing lipstick though

teejay
1 year 7 months ago

We’ve got glass and stainless steel straws but I just found some online that are made of bamboo and cost about $10 for a dozen. Great option, very affordable.

Amanda R.

It’s already ice-coffee / smoothie season here in Tucson, and I’ve been searching for a non-plastic cup that I could use my glass straw with, and not have the beverage splashing all over the place if I was on the move. Yesterday, I bought a 20oz. (“venti”) double-walled stainless steel to-go cup from Starbucks – it has a flip-top lid with a hole just big enough for the regular size (9.5mm) glass dharma straw to fit through. The 9″ straw extends about an inch and a half above the lid when resting on the bottom of the cup, and since it’s a snug fit it won’t slip out. Not totally plastic-free (the flip-top is plastic), but overall I’m delighted!

[…] Plastic-free Drinking Straws: Paper, Glass, & Stainless Steel (myplasticfreelife.com) […]

energy conservation

Using paper straws instead of plastic ones is a good idea as the animals are safe. It is very necessary for us to make use of recyclable products in our daily life as it is an advantage for a better environment.

Sonja

I’m happy that you were happy about those straws at Disney, but as many other commentators I also wonder: why use straws at all?
Here they only used for cocktails and smoothies. If you want one, you can always get one (plastic :-(), but it is not the rule to have one.

My teeth are sensitive too, but I never need a straw for that because drinks are not as icecold here as they are in the US – cultural difference, I guess.

I also don’t understand why children would need straws – if they’re small they have sippy cups for home and for things outside the house, if they’re older they get taught how to drink out of a normal cup – none of my friend’s small children ever had a problem with that. One is currently 21 months old and drinks very carefully out of her cup, like ‘the grownups do it’.

While I applaud Disney for using paper straws, I don’t understand why straws are ever necessary, even for smoothies and milkshakes, especially in the home. I have four kids and we don’t own any straws; glass, metal, plastic or otherwise.

Is it an American thing to use them all the time?

Lolly, good point! I don’t have one in front of me right now, but they are probably plastic.

Lolly

What are the bristles on the cleaning brush that comes with the Glass Dharma straws made of?

I am due for a couple of elective procedures, and will need bed rest after them. I am liking that bendy stainless steel number. Makes it so much easier to drink while in bed and being drugged.

This whole conversation is totally making me chuckle. Here’s how far off the beaten path I am… I haven’t had a soda in years!

Eve

Well, if they’re made from recycled paper, that would be fine with me. Otherwise, I’m sticking with the glass or no-straw route because, frankly, trees are too important to just throw away…

oh, how wonderful! if only more parks/zoos would use them!

I went to a restaurant this summer in Bar Harbor that served paper straws with their drinks–I was so psyched! (The only other place I’d ever seen paper straws before was two boxes of them at an antiques store!). I get so annoyed when I ask for “no straw” and get it anyway–especially with a margarita–why would I say “yes” to salt, then drink from a straw?

Melissa

Sea World also uses paper straws – I don’t know if they were coated. Disney only does it at Animal Kingdom because they are just there to protect the animals.
Glass Dharma makes some cool carrying cases for the glass straws.

Melody

While kids find straws fun, they are not neater! At least not for my kids. I end up taking the straws away at restaurants to keep down spills and splatters. My kids don’t leave the straw in and every time they pull the straw out the drink splatters. And they still tip the cups to drink so the drink spills through the holes in the lid. Why do the servers do this to me when an adult ordering water, juice or milk just gets a glass with no straw or lid? I’ll have to learn to say “no straws please”

I’ve thought about some washable straws for at home (they discovered the wonder of blowing bubbles in milk at a friends house). But they would just be for special messy occasions. We use spoons to eat our homemade smoothies.

I, for one, love to drink out of a straw. We have some stainless steel ones we use for smoothies, etc.

I was surprised the other day when I went to Ted’s Montana Grill for a work event. There the drinks came with cardboard straws. From their website:

“Ted’s Montana Grill has a deep commitment to the environment and our goal is to be 99% plastic-free. That’s why we re-introduced the paper straw, (not produced in the United States since 1970) and use it in all of our restaurants. Menus are printed on 100% recycled paper. Our to-go cups are made of cornstarch that bio-degrades in landfills in just 50 days. Soft drinks are served in recyclable glass bottles. Our take-away food is placed in Bio-Plus Earth Containers, which are high-quality, bio-degradable containers that are microwavable. These containers have been endorsed by the Green Restaurant Association. In addition to maintaining a 99% plastic-free restaurant, we also try to conserve energy and water. ”

Like any disposables, not perfect, but it is nice to see a business making an effort in this area.

I always forget. The mere presence of a child seems to provoke attacks of plastic, styrofoam and straws. Grrr. And I carry stainless steel ones around with me.

Of course, it’s always a surprise when we order drinks somewhere. We don’t really eat out much. Last night we ordered a coconut water, which usually comes sans plastic and voila! my daughter provoked a plastic straw. Alas.

jane

I have stainless steel straws. I clean them with a pipe cleaner and a little dish soap. We make a lot of smoothies so they seemed like a good idea. I love them but my kids aren’t fans. My 8 year old swears they make drinks taste funny (yet both his silverware and orthodontic appliance are made out of the same stainless steel as the straw) and because his big bro won’t use them, my 3 year old doesn’t like them either. I told them that if they wanted straw these were the option (don’t trust them with glass no matter what I read- maybe when they are older)