November 30, 2013

A Tale of Two Plastic-Free Salad Spinners

We’ve had a Copco plastic salad spinner (aka lettuce dryer) for years.  Actually, Michael has had it since the 90’s before I was even a thought in his head.

Salad Spinner plastic

I use it because we already have it, but I’ve never liked it.  It’s plastic, so it gets slimy and hard to clean out.  And it’s big.  It takes up a lot of valuable real estate in the kitchen.  From time to time, I’ve gone online and searched Google for “plastic-free salad spinner” or “stainless steel salad spinner.”  But I just keep getting tricked by this Oxo stainless steel salad spinner, which is only stainless steel on the outside.  The inside basket–the part that actually touches your salad– is still plastic.  Plus, I don’t make salads that often anyway, so I couldn’t really justify buying a brand new one even if I did find a plastic-free model.

How the French Spun Their Salad in the Old Days

Well, a few weeks ago, I was at it again… obsessively looking for a plastic-free salad spinner when I stumbled upon this discussion on Chow Hound.  One person replied:

You could seek out an old French style collapsible stainless mesh basket. You need to go outside to use it because you need to swing it vigorously.

Really?  Never heard of it.  So I Googled “French metal salad spinner” and came up with lots of results.  Apparently, in the old days before plastic salad spinners, French people would put salad in a wire basket with handles and go outside and whirl it in the air like a windmill.  And just when I was thinking THAT was a brilliant idea (spin salad AND get some exercise!), I stumbled across this ancient Julia Child video:  How to Make Salad Nicoise.  The whole thing is fascinating, but the part that interested me most comes in around minute 10:55.  Check out her demonstration of salad spinners! (I’ve bookmarked that section so this video starts right at that part.)

Did you see the one that looks like a wire mesh basket but spins like a top?  Suddenly, I knew I had to find THAT one.  Ebay, maybe.   Or Etsy.  But try as I might, the only one I found for sale was one from Storenvy that was missing the base that keeps it stable.

So, finally giving up on the idea of getting a spinning wire basket for my salad, I decided to go ahead and order the kind of basket that you take outside and spin through the air.  I found lots of vintage, secondhand wire salad baskets on Etsy and bought one from the shop anythinggoeshere.  I felt fine about this choice because the basket is secondhand, so I’m giving it a new life.

There Might Be A Simpler Way

Well, all proud of myself but still wanting to find the spinning-like-a-top kind I saw on Julia Child’s video, I posted the video and query on my Facebook wall and asked if anyone else had seen one like it.  But the responses surprised me.  Many people didn’t understand why I needed a spinner in the first place when a cloth towel or even a pillow case would do.

Really?  I was skeptical.  But since I had decided to make a nice big salad to bring to a Thanksgiving potluck, I thought I would try both methods and see which worked best.

(Note: Some people recommend using paper towels.  That is not an option I chose to consider because although it may be plastic-free, it is certainly not waste-free.)

Comparing Plastic-Free “Salad Spinners”

I showed up at Nancy and David’s with my salad ingredients, as well as my new-to-me vintage salad basket and a ReUseIt organic cotton bulk/produce bag (this is an affiliate link, by the way) that I’ve had for years.  I asked David, an amazing photographer, to document the experiment.

First, I washed the lettuce in a big metal bowl.

Salad Spinner - washing lettuce

Then, put half in the cloth produce bag and half in the wire basket.

salad-spinner-02b

salad-spinner-01

I took both outside and spun them in the air.  (Yes, November is warm enough in the Bay Area for bare feet.)

First the cloth bag… I could spin it really fast over my head.  It sprayed like a wet dog all over the deck.  It was so much fun I didn’t want to stop.

salad-spinner-04b

But I had to stop and switch to the wire basket.  You can’t spin the basket over your head in the same way.  It’s more of a sideways windmill motion.

salad-spinner-09

salad-spinner-08b

And then, after all the fun was over (fun not just for me but for the crowd that had gathered on the top deck to watch), we went inside to assess the results.

First the lettuce in the basket… hmm… still kinda wet, actually.

salad-spinner-06b

Then the lettuce in the cloth bag.   And… we have a winner!

salad-spinner-07

In addition to wicking water all over the deck, the bag had also absorbed a lot of the water from the lettuce… something the basket couldn’t do.

Wow.  I didn’t need to buy something new after all.  That’s okay.  I will hang the cloth bag inside out and let it dry out for the next time.   And I’ll use the wire basket to hold produce but not spin it.

Why Dry Lettuce?

Those of you who don’t make salad very often may be wondering why it’s necessary to dry lettuce before making a salad in the first place.  One reason is that your salad dressing will stick better!

Salad - Persimmon orange spring mix

This salad was delicious.  We had a very happy Thanksgiving.  I hope you all (those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving) did too.

57 Comments on "A Tale of Two Plastic-Free Salad Spinners"

Renate, NZ
15 days 2 hours ago

Thanks so much! Glad I found your article before buying a salad spinner – now I’ll dedicate a cloth bag.

Koji
6 months 6 days ago

If anyone is interested, I found this in Asia, it’s pretty cool, but on the pricier side, around $130

Peggy Henderson
7 months 16 days ago

Love the cloth bag salad spinner idea!! Great visuals and conclusion that it works better than the wire mesh basket! Simple is super!!! Thanks for all involved in creating and presenting this excellent idea!

11 months 1 day ago

This is so good. I love the pictures! When I moved to France, I wondered why I couldn’t find salad spinners in stores. My friends were so puzzled and said they just use cloth (in Paris, salad baskets are less popular, I’m guessing because of the space it takes up in a tiny apartment). Every so often in magazines here I’ll see a bit about a French chef complaining that spinners bruise and crush lettuce by spinning too fast and too hard…

BethTerry
1 year 14 days ago

I think I’m going to have to try this:  http://bottleworld.net/?p=637

1 year 15 days ago

[…] can put your washed salad in a pillowcase or other porous cloth bag and whip it around your head, like this blogger. The salad stays in the bag, the water flies out.   The pillowcase is working as both the […]

Hteblav
1 year 7 months ago

I spread the leaves out onto a clean teatowel then press another on top & dry them that way, I don’t even bother to spin them!

BethTerry
1 year 7 months ago

Treeedom I’m finding this method works for drying all kinds of veggies…not just greens.  I love it.  Have started doing it in the bath tub… I just stick my arm inside the shower doors and twirl.  Don’t even have to go outside.

Treeedom
1 year 7 months ago

I visit your site more as I try to limit my use of plastic each day (it’s hard, but I’ve gotten much better) and try to find new ways.  I ended up buying a cheap one about 3 years ago from Ikea and I eat a lot of salad, but I must admit it is hard to clean.  I will have to try this method and give the job to my son to do, he may enjoy!  Thank you for all you hard work and research, it has been a tremendous help with my family.

MelissaGraves
1 year 8 months ago

Am I the only one that was super stoked when the merchants were packing everything, even WET ingredients in (wax?) PAPER?! If its sturdy enough for Julia Child whom surely buys in bulk, why don’t we see it more often in markets today? Bulk olives only come in plastic tubs, unless you buy jars and no, they are not the same.

milkmaid88
1 year 8 months ago

I was always too frugal to purchase a salad spinner.  I devised my own way which is similar to your produce bag.  Rinse each leaf, shake it a little, and lay it in the long middle of a large dish towel.  After rinsing, I have a big pile of leaves in the middle of the towel and I simply fold the long sides over the lettuce, grab the ends, one in each hand. Then I shake it out in a jump rope motion, if that makes sense.  Takes a lot longer to describe than it takes to do it.
Now I have a salad spinner, but it’s such a pain compared to my simpler method.

Trouvailleuse

Forgot to ad:
Beth, thank you for your inspiring blog. I like your humor and honesty. In looking at products like for ex. a salad spinner in a different way, it becomes clear that “just because everybody does” we use things we don’t really need. The invasion of those Household-Appliances hasn’t stopped since Julia Child and CO.
Spin-on! S.

Trouvailleuse
1 year 8 months ago

I did sew my own Fabric-Salad-Spinner based on the one i saw here: http://www.manufactum.de/salatschleuder-osr-p1410491/
On the inside a cotton mesh-bag and on the outside a slightly bigger waxed-Cotton bag, so the water is kept inside. After removing the salad i simply turn it inside out over the sink then hang it to dry for the next use.

very resourceful.  Thanks!

SingleUsePlanet
1 year 8 months ago

AutumnDann I also don’t wash my greens. I buy them at the farmer’s market, so the lettuce is purchased directly from the farmer, who I know doesn’t use any pesticides or chemicals. Sometimes there is a little dirt, but I just brush it off.

1 year 8 months ago

I have a plastic salad spinner I’ve had for 10+ years that I never use. I only buy pre-washed lettuce and never wash it even though every one says you should. I have used the cloth bag method before (usually a pillowcase in my case) for large amounts that I had to wash myself.

YourOrganicLife
1 year 8 months ago

OMG, I am one of the people who told you to use a cloth towel. I had seen Ina Garten do it on her show. But the cloth produce bag is even better! No chance of accidentally letting a corner loose and having your salad fly through the air.  And, maybe this will entice more people to go buy cloth produce bags to use at the store, further eliminating plastic use.
I’m going to remember this for next time.  I know my 7yo will love being allowed to go outside and spin the lettuce.  Let’s just hope it’s not snowing that day ;)

1 year 8 months ago

Hi Terry, I have just begun my on journey to living plastic free. I am finding it strangely exciting. Must be the problem solver in me that likes the challenges. I will have to check up on your website more often as it looks like you have a wealth of knowledge.

1 year 8 months ago

@Amy Beckerman Zarndt I discovered a couple of summers ago that storing lettuce in a damp towel keeps it fresh and crisp incredibly long (sometimes more than a week).  So now when I bring home lettuce from our CSA, I often wash it and tear it up right away, then wrap it in a damp towel or cloth.  You don’t need a special bag — actually, an old (but clean!) t-shirt works great!
The towel/t-shirt/cloth bag absorbs extra water (but also does double-duty as a salad dryer, I suppose).  At any rate, this method allows me to store my lettuce in a way where it’s easy to pull out a bit and eat it easily, with no major prep work.  Quick meals!

Amy Beckerman Zarndt
1 year 8 months ago

Beth, if I try it, I’ll let you know how it goes!

BethTerry
1 year 8 months ago

@Joyce Bonamassa-Mirro Sadly, that is the Oxo spinner I mentioned above which is stainless steel on the outside but has a plastic basket on the inside.  :-(

jonnie
My Plastic-free Life
1 year 8 months ago

Joyce Bonamassa-Mirro Ricki Burleigh That is the Oxo spinner I mentioned in my blog post that tricks you because it is stainless steel on the outside with a plastic basket on the inside, I’m afraid. As far as I know, there is no all stainless salad spinner on the market except for the vintage ones like I wrote about in the post.

BethTerry
1 year 8 months ago

@Cory at AquarianBath LOL.  I did read about that during my research, but it just seemed way too complicated for me.  Perhaps I will try it the next time I buy kale just to see what happens.  I love experiments.

BethTerry
1 year 8 months ago

@Jill I hear we might be meeting on Saturday at Sharon’s jewelry show.

1 year 8 months ago

If you use cloth, the cloth will absorb a lot of the liquid, so there might not be as much water coming through. Seriously, I have this all figured out in my mind. I see you standing outside your shower with your arm inside the shower holding the bag, and you are whirling it around in front of you like a pinwheel… rather than over your head like I was doing outside. Seriously. I can see it happening. :-) No need to drain it first.

BethTerry
1 year 8 months ago

@Amy Beckerman Zarndt If you use cloth, the cloth will absorb a lot of the liquid, so there might not be as much water coming through.  Seriously, I have this all figured out in my mind.  I see you standing outside your shower with your arm inside the shower holding the bag, and you are whirling it around in front of you like a pinwheel… rather than over your head like I was doing outside.  Seriously.  I can see it happening.  :-)

BethTerry
1 year 8 months ago

@jonnie Interesting.  Could you please tell me more about using the salad spinner for Bokashi?  Do you have a link?

BethTerry
1 year 8 months ago

Flashmaggie Cloth produce/bulk bags are essential for purchasing from bulk bins without plastic. Since I already have a stash of cloth bags, I’d rather use one of those than risk spilling the lettuce out the sides of a towel.  I see your point — use what you have.  I have cloth bags!

1 year 8 months ago

Made me laugh. I have always wondered why people felt they need a salad spinner, having always used the towel method myself. But people always make fun of my frugal ways. I thought perhaps they were just squeamish about a towel touching their food (although if you use a clean towel, I can’t imagine why, but it takes all kinds.) Anyway, fun post.

Goffinet McLaren
1 year 8 months ago

I am also with Victoria Buchan. I have never possessed a salad spinner.

ecothrifty
1 year 8 months ago

Brilliant!  Looks like you had so much fun!  I have never had a salad spinner, I just shake the leaves in a colander, but now I know what to do next time!

Green Jeanne
1 year 8 months ago

Who knew that  washing salad was so complicated.  Stainless bowl soak- colander & bowl  shaky & drain- glass gallon salad jar shaky shaky with cotton clothes. I keep a salad for a week or more with this method. I keep the veggies with a higher water base like cukes, toms, & etc  on the side. The salad will  lasted for up to a week or more.

Flashmaggie
1 year 8 months ago

Been using an old linen tea towel for years. Just plonk lettuce in the middle and pull the corners together, before a quick twirl outside the back door. Who needs salad spinners or bags?

jonnie
1 year 8 months ago

I have done the same: banished the salad spinner because of kitchen space (lack there of). I use net [nylon-gak!] produce bags to spin, and have found, like you, that simpler is better. Obviously a big cotton bag would be ideal. Hmmm, pillowcase…?
BTW, rumor has it an old salad spinner makes an acceptable Bokashi container!?

Amy Beckerman Zarndt
1 year 8 months ago

I’m just thinking of the amount of water that comes out in my salad spinner and that would be a lot. But I suppose if you drain it in a colander first. . . . .

Kathryn Grace
1 year 8 months ago

I lived in a wintry mountain state for years and never once went outside to spin my greens in the dishtowel. It’s just a little spray of water, easily wiped up with a towel.

Jill
1 year 8 months ago

Sorry I missed meeting you; I was invited to Nancy and David’s too, but had to RSVP no since we were in Seattle.  Next time!  I am a big fan of yours! :)

1 year 8 months ago

There’s always the spin cycle on clothes washing machine!  :)

Ricki Burleigh
1 year 8 months ago

It is so beautiful, too! Thank you@

1 year 8 months ago

That’s pretty much what I came up with — but the bag has a drawstring so less chance of leaves escaping, and you can spin it really fast over your head.

Victoria Buchan
1 year 8 months ago

Easy solution. Place leaves in a clean tea towel gather up the corners and shake hard.

1 year 8 months ago

BethTerry EcoCatLady Oooooo La La! :-)

Maleña Taylor

YAY!!!!

BethTerry
1 year 8 months ago

EcoCatLady Just do it in the shower.  :-)

1 year 8 months ago

Ha! Very interesting… and I love the photos! I’ve never actually owned a salad spinner. I generally just put it in a colander with a dish towel on top and shake like crazy. But maybe I’ll give the cloth bag a try. Probably wouldn’t work too well when it’s below freezing outside though… Maybe I’ll reserve that experiment for warmer weather! :-)

Mama Loves the Beach

Who knew . . .

Nancy Nathan Baldwin
1 year 8 months ago

LOVE this post. It really does point out that sometimes you don’t need fancy gadgets (even if they are vintage). I have a cotton bag and will put it to use next time. Thanks Beth Terry!

BethTerry
1 year 9 months ago

Aw, no video. At least no video that I’m aware of. :-)

AutumnDann
1 year 9 months ago

please let there be a video of that fun.
i may be a lost case ~ i don’t wash greens.

BethTerry
1 year 9 months ago

Chantal Plamondon Yep.  I think we can move on.  ;-)

Katherin Edwards
1 year 9 months ago

Oh cool. So the cloth won out. Good to know, and when my too big plastic spinner hits the dust, I’ll hit the deck with my lettuce in a bag and have a good workout! Thanks for doing the research Beth, and sharing the results!

Claire Haslam
1 year 9 months ago

Saves wasting leaves. Wet leaves don’t last as well as dry leaves. Dry store better and for longer. Think I need to dig out a pillow case. I hate my spinner it fills up much needed cupboard space.

1 year 9 months ago

Cool experiment! Great post! We have also been looking for a plastic-free salad spinner to offer at LifeWithoutPlastic.com but could only find the ones with stainless steel outside and the plastic basket inside. We have a greens bag that would do the trick for the “bag spinning” and because it turned out to be the best method, perhaps there is no need to look any further!

Sheri Puckette
1 year 9 months ago

Love this! Those darn “official” spinners take up valuable kitchen real estate.

Amy Beckerman Zarndt
1 year 9 months ago

In my shower it would have to be a very compact arm swing, but it might be worth a try!

1 year 9 months ago

Amy, that looks cool. Also — you could spin it in the shower if it’s too cold to go outside. :-)