February 27, 2014

Is It Cheating to Stock up on Restaurant Burritos?

So, I’ve talked and written a lot about how Americans seem to be addicted to the convenience that plastic packaging affords us. I know I sure was… eating frozen microwavable meals in plastic trays, energy bars in plastic wrappers, and water in plastic bottles. But I need to confess something. Just because I gave up plastic doesn’t mean I am not above a little convenience. It’s just that now, my idea of convenience looks like this:

image

Instead of this:

wpid-20140128_095430.jpg

While most days, I eat whole foods that I prepare myself, and I pack homemade lunches in reusable tiffins and jars, I still like to stock up on plain foil-wrapped bean and cheese burritos from Cactus Taqueria, a local restaurant in my neighborhood.

wpid-20140201_180935.jpg

I bring them home (in my reusable bag) and store them in the freezer for those days when all I have time to do is grab something as I’m heading out the door and pop it in the microwave at work.  (Of course, I remove the aluminum foil first!)

Still… I sometimes feel guilty about this reliance on “convenience foods,” especially because I know that even though I’m not bringing home any plastic, the restaurant used plenty of it.  You can’t exactly cite your “Don’t ask; don’t tell” policy when the plastic tortilla bags are in plain view.

wpid-20140201_180949.jpg

I put this question to my friend Danielle Richardet, the awesome plastic-free blogger I wrote about in September who makes her own tortillas from scratch.   I can’t find the conversation in my email or text messages, so I’ll try to paraphrase what she said.  It was something about how you can try to be perfect, but there’s really no such thing, and sometimes you have to settle for “better” and be okay with that.

The reality is that there is a lot of hidden plastic that we inadvertently consume every day simply by being alive in this modern age.  If you ever eat in a restaurant, you consume plastic.  If you buy anything from a store, you consume plastic… even if you buy it from a bulk bin.  Because often, the foods in the bulk bins come shipped in great big plastic bags.  And even if they weren’t, there was probably some plastic involved in growing the food in the first place.  Organic farmers may have used plastic sheeting to keep out the weeds.

The idea of living a plastic-free life is not to become so perfect at avoiding plastic that you feel smug about yourself.  Realizing just how unavoidable plastic is when you really trace back the life cycle of a product can wipe that smug grin off your face and provide a humbling perspective.  Our personal actions DO make a difference, though.  I know it can be tempting to say, “Oh, the problem is so big, I might as well give up.”  Don’t.

Danielle posted a powerful quote from Gandhi on her blog last week.  It expresses what I tell myself (albeit much more elegantly) whenever I start to feel like my personal actions don’t matter.

It’s the action, not the fruit of the action, that’s important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there’ll be any fruit. But that doesn’t mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.

So, we just have to keep trying to do the best we can.  Because it matters.  And sometimes, our best is a handmade organic burrito from Cactus Taqueria that is wrapped in foil instead of plastic and stored in the freezer beside the homemade cat food and farmers market kale.  Right?

In what ways do you settle for “good” instead of “perfect”?  And are you able to give yourself a break?

Calssic stainless steel bento boxes and cotton lunch bags.

32 Comments on "Is It Cheating to Stock up on Restaurant Burritos?"

Sort by:   newest | oldest
Kelly
11 months 23 hours ago
Restaurant food is loaded with sodium, fats, and oils. Cheese is not vegan. It seems like the “zero waste” and un-plastic gurus are still eating animal products. The meat industry is one of the largest contributors to climate change, so this baffles me. You’re okay with eating animals and contributing to climate change on that scale as long as the animals are wrapped in foil? It is so easy to make home-made burritos with whole unprocessed foods that don’t include unhealthy ingredients. It also doesn’t take a lot of time. Plus unless you rode a bicycle or walked to the… Read more »
fatma
1 year 10 months ago

Hi, I have a question: is it healthy to store food in foil paper in the freezer ?

SarahGiraffe
2 years 18 days ago

I make my own frozen burritos. I make a half-day of it and cook all the ingredients (steamed kale, homemade spanish rice and refried beans, maybe some king oyster fakon, seasonal veggies, salsa, enchilada sauce, roasted potatoes/homemade tempeh sausage/scrambled eggz, etc) and set them out on my kitchen table and make each one different so I don’t get bored. Freeze on a baking sheet until solid, then pack in an airtight container. Super convenient, and I know where everything came from! Just make sure all the fillings are room temperature or warm before wrapping.

screwdestiny

I know this feeling all too well living as a vegan.  In the same way it’s impossible to indirectly avoid dealing with plastic, it’s impossible to indirectly avoid dealing with animal products.  But we all do the best that we can.  It’s not about perfection.  That will only drive a person crazy.

tinsel

What about those stackable Pyrex glass dishes you can use in oven or freezer? (They do have plastic lids, but I had to start somewhere.) You can get them in a set on Amazon, some round, some rectangular. I don’t know how to put a link in, sorry.

abzarndt  With feelin’…

abzarndt
As always, a thoughtful and inspirational post, with thoughtful and inspirational responses.  The Gandhi quote is wonderful, and speaks so beautifully on the topics of doing our dharma and offering service.  If we cannot walk the path with love then what is the point.  If we become eco-perfectionist-terrorists (to others as well as to ourselves!), then haven’t we missed something?  I find with many things in my life I move and change in stages.  I make changes and leaps forward, and then I plateau off.  Sometimes I even take a few steps back, only to move forward again when I… Read more »

Thanks, Beth, for the imagery and the Gandhi quote. There’s also an option for hot take-out burritos that does not require packaging waste: GO Box. It started in Portland a few years ago and is now available in Sacramento, too. http://instagram.com/p/lddEv1hj32/

Joe KomaGawa

Oh, I like your comment from Gandhi. I will remember that.

Joe KomaGawa
I am sorry this is off point. I just found your blog from On point NPR adio program Recently I was disheartened to see that the various McDonalds here in my area of Japan, no longer really separate paper from plastic. Sure they keep the separate bins, but when the employee comes to take it all out, it all goes into the same bag.  there is a small town not too far from here which used to do 23 separations of household waste. they became famous. that’s a bit much. they have these huge folders for the separation instructions….well I doubt… Read more »
jonnie
I have found that finding perfect replacements are difficult at times. We occasionally do take out when we are exhausted, with its trail of plastic, poor treatment of employees, and rain forest destruction, and though I’ve trained DH to refuse a straw, a milkshake in plastic sometimes makes it into our home, as do condiments. The condiments I make DH’s problem (take to work) in hopes he’ll refuse in the future, but the plastic cup…and the GUILT :(( If it were just me, I’d jump at the choice of a frozen burrito, wrapped in foil, from a local shop.  One… Read more »

Taking an extreme position to begin with is always a sure shot recipe for failure, instead if one sets up sub-systems that will eventually lead to the goal that is always going to yield results. NO PLASTIC is a goal that can end up being frustrating and eventually not worth the fight for many. Its similar to adopting http://www.sunipod.com. Reduction in grid dependence is a better system to have than having a goal of absolute grid freedom in one shot. Which one’s more sustainable?

Before you settle for plastic first find out which ones are the worst.  I was watching democracy now and I was disgusted by the fact that the industries and the government  are hiding just how dangerous plastic really is.  Here is the link:  http://www.democracynow.org/2014/3/4/are_any_plastics_safe_industry_tries

blesseday
I was REALLY getting good at eliminating plastic from our lives two years ago, and then I got to a point where I was overwhelmed. I am a homeschooling mom of 4, and was struggling with some health issues, and I realized I just did not have the time/energy/brainpower to try to be “perfect” with living plastic-free.  I realized specifically that for this season in life, I had to make a choice–I was totally stressed all the time from trying to be ‘perfect” in all these different areas of life, and I was particularly weighed down by plastic “guilt,” and… Read more »
Tiffany

So true! I keep wanting to buy the bamboo toothbrushes I saw online (probably recommended on here) but our dentist always gives us free toothbrushes at our visits, so I keep sticking with the FREE plastic ones. Ah, maybe one day…

I think it is wise to embrace the concept of “better”! I am on my first steps on the plastic free journey and for now I am aiming to reduce, rather than eliminate. I shall do my best of course, but am finding that truly plastic-free stuff can be prohibitively expensive (think artisan, craft etc) and not always suitable for my family’s and my needs. I am exploring ways to live with less and less plastic even as you say I am aware that probably whatever I buy was wrapped in plastic at source. But “better” is better than nothing!… Read more »

Beth, I think you have to make choices and your choices are so admirable.  It is better to eat healthy in my opinion than fret about some of the waste that you are indirectly causing.  No one is perfect.  Ecocat lady nailed this response.

chicknlil

EcoCatLady Well put! (:

When I was travelling recently, I thought about this a lot too. Normally I eat home-made food, so can control the amount of plastic I use. However, eating out comes with a hidden plastic consumption. I wonder if there is a Plastic-Free restaurant anywhere?

Nancy Nathan Baldwin

Ive been buying frozen veggies. BUT in my defense the packaging can be thrown in the compost :) But still.

After a talk this week by Jon Young, I walked my bike to the subway with a client wh is becoming a friend. She told me what an inspiration I was to her and what about me had helped her change to a life less plastic. I thought about your column on that, Beth. She said that seeing me make choices inspired her. I thought that making those options available to others made a difference (teaching, selling alternatives to plastics, refilling body care products etc. As a seller of bulk things, it is the exception to receive bulk items NOT… Read more »
Totally in touch with this emotion right now – in fact I just wrote a long rambling guilt post about my most recent eco-sins. The conversation that it generated gave me some food for thought.  The reality is that what we as individuals do is much less important than what “everybody” does. So a big portion of our job as environmentalists is to try to encourage and inspire other people to follow our lead. But when we cross the line from responsible living to self-imposed misery, I think we do more harm than good to our own cause. If the… Read more »
jonnie

SweaterDoll  Well said.

jonnie

This doesn’t answer your question (thinking ’bout it) but KUDOS for buying local!

Danielle Richardet

Will do. Btw… when I was searching my texts first, I was busting up laughing at so many of our conversations. #thanksformakingmesmile

The nature of living on this planet, even if we were naked and running through the jungles laughing and playing, is that we cause harm as well as benefit. Picking fruit and vegetables, we harm bugs. Ploughing fields we disrupt tiny habitats. We can minimize our impact but we will always be participating in some kind of harm inadvertently. It’s part of living, that everything is fleeting, including life. The very best we can do is respect life, love each other, and do our very best.

Dude, send it to me!

So true – I’m not perfect, but I let that be OK.  I let the slip ups, or the ‘easier’ option sneak in.  Fresh berries would be 4-8x frozen at the store, and I’m sorry, I just can’t accept the costs (when most fresh STILL come in punnents, vs bags, so plastic or plastic!?)
But every time I whip out the bamboo fork instead of a single use plastic one, it’s a start.  It won’t change the world today, but it is a small step in the right direction.

I agree that we have to keep trying to do the best we can. I think that kind of mindset is what will ultimately convince people to start trying to cut down on plastic and waste in general. Instead of putting pressure on people to be perfect and generate no waste, it helps them see that it is a journey instead :) I always say that ANY reduction in plastic/waste is a good reduction.

Sheri Puckette
That looks like a nice way to handle convenience food! Yes, you could make your own tortillas…but we all have to decide what we can handle with our own personal schedules/lives. In our culture it is extremely difficult to avoid ALL plastic (as you say, even bulk comes in plastic wrap to the store). I feel guilt about still using plastic at times in the freezer, for space reasons. My round freezer jars take up more space than stacked, flat frozen ziplocks. So I prioritize, putting fatty foods in the glass and easy to wash out/reuse things, like blueberries, kale… Read more »
Danielle Richardet

Beth, this post is awesome. Of course, (challenge accepted!) you know I found our conversation! ;) A LONG email chain in June on my birthday! I think you captured perfectly what I said and always say. xx

Danielle Richardet I tried to quote you, but I couldn’t find the conversation. I think it might have been in a Words With Friends game. :-) I used your Gandhi quote here as well.

wpDiscuz